mtbr member

Smile Who is Riding Around Oswego NY ?

Just started mnt. biking a couple months ago. I ride a lot on the power lines by my house in Scriba. Also at Great Bear some. Most of the time alone. any one else riding in the area? Especially my age, (late 50's). I have been racing road and triathlon for the last 28 years so I am not really a beginner, just on the mnt. bike. I enjoy XC mostly.

Gcappy

short timer
    Jul 2008
    I get out that way now and then to visit the outlaws. Great Bear is.. well Great.. very fun ride. There's suppose to be some trails off Rice Road? Not sure if that's the right road.... If you want, next time I'm out that way I'll drop you a PM.
    Cheers

mtbr member
    Let me know when you will be in town.

Gcappy
    Full Tilt Fitting Oswego NY

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    I'm in for a ride in your area sometime! Recently hit up Oakley Corner, Chenango, and Shiggys. Road trips are great! I'll PM ya maybe we can get a ride in.

TIA

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Rice Creek is what you're thinking, Fallbrook is also right in that area. Fallbrook is owned by SUNY Oswego, I believe. Haven't ridden there in years, we used to ride there regularly. I'm not sure what trails, if any, still exist. It'd be nice to know, if you get out there.

FasCat Coaching
    Man, I used to love riding those trails in Oswego when I went to college there!
    Rice Creek and Fallbrook. I can still smell the wet leaves from Autumn...

I found this trail map online http://www.oswego.edu/Documents/rice...%20MAY2012.pdf
    FasCat Coaching
    Personalized Coaching for All Cyclists

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sprocketjockey9 View Post
    Driving directions using 90 as a reference please.

mtbr member
    I we t over there to check out the trail. It looks all overgrown at the trail head and big signs warning of poison ivy. It looked like there has been zero traffic and unkept.

Gcappy

FasCat Coaching
    Quote Originally Posted by DiRt DeViL View Post
    Driving directions using 90 as a reference please.
    You're a long way from 90 so it depends where you are coming from. It's off Thompson rd on route 104 heading east just before you hit the college.

Use the google
    FasCat Coaching
    Personalized Coaching for All Cyclists

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    It doesn't surprise me that the area has grown in. It was a fun spot back when we had club members living nearby that maintained the trails. It'd be great if the local bike shop would take an interest and organize some trail work. Oh well.

mtbr member
    That would be Ben, the owner of Murdocks bike shop in Oswego. I don't know how many actual mnt bikers come through his shop. It seems like mostly townies and college kids.
    Gcappy

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    The point is, maybe more mountain bikers would come through if there were a cool place to ride and they knew Ben had a hand in it. Stranger things have happened.

mtbr member
    So far it seems as though I am the only one on this forum that rides a mountain bike in Oswego.
    Gcappy
    http://www fulltiltfitting.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I'm not in Oswego anymore, but I have heard there are trails behind the middle school off W. 5th. Not sure how well kept they are.

Another thing you might try is the weeknight ride in Watertown, on Thursdays I think. The guy at Black River Adventurers organizes it so you might want to call them up and make sure it's still going on. Never been with them myself, but I have ridden their trails in Thompson Park--not very long but it's a pretty fun 45 minute ride if you just blast through. They have a few obstacles set up too.

mtbr member
    This seems to be the only problem with mountain vs road. I have to drive to ride except for the power lines which give me about a four hour total ride.

Gcappy

mtbr member
    I've lived in Oswego all my life and been riding since '92. Trails actually in Oswego are few and far between. The trails at Fallbrook and Rice Creek are long overgrown. I was part of the group that maintained those trails and put the Spring Thaw race on out there for a couple years. Most of those guys either don't ride anymore or have moved away. The Middle School still has some trails but not many. Its mostly walkers out there now. You used to be able to ride single track all the way to Minetto if you crossed Grey Rd. but someone purchased that land and has been cutting back there and all the trails are long gone, as well as posted.

Part of the problem with have any trail to ride in Oswego, besides the land is that there just aren't many mountain bikers in town. I know of myself but not really any others. There are tons of road riders and more every year but most of the people buying mountain bikes locating are just buying entry level bikes to cruise around on and never intend on seeing any dirt. I'd be more than willing to participate in trail work and such but based on the number of riders in town that I know of it'd be a fool's game.

So that being all said: gcappy if you ever want to hit up Great Bear or Highland Forest pm me. I also go to Shindagin in Ithaca on a regular basis which if you've never ridden is a must ride.