Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rickcin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    898

    Watkins Glen biking?

    Going to take a trip to Watkins Glen for three or so days and I was wondering if three are any good places to mtn bike there?

  2. #2
    .
    Reputation: jonz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    769
    There's nothing really close, best option is Shindagin.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rickcin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    898
    Quote Originally Posted by jonz View Post
    There's nothing really close, best option is Shindagin.
    What about Watkins Glen Satate Park ?

    I should have mentioned we are older riders and would be happy with unpaved rail trails, beginner single track and or fire roads.

  4. #4
    .
    Reputation: jonz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    769
    You can ride the outer rim trail at the park, but it's only a little more than a mile long. For easy riding, but a lot more miles, Finger Lakes National Forest is very close.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rickcin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    898
    Quote Originally Posted by jonz View Post
    You can ride the outer rim trail at the park, but it's only a little more than a mile long. For easy riding, but a lot more miles, Finger Lakes National Forest is very close.
    Great suggestion! I just took a look and it appears there is a decent amount of mountain biking available at Finger Lakes National Forest and it seem to be less than 20 minutes from Watkins Glen.

    Thanks for the info!!

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    153
    If you are looking for a rail trail, the Catherine Valley Trail is nearby. It is many miles long and very easy to ride. There is also a trail farther north (maybe 20 minutes) called the Keuka Connector Trail. It is a biking/walking trail that goes from Seneca Lake to Penn Yan on the north end of Keuka Lake. Maybe 10 miles long or so. Both are very friendly for non-technical riders who just want a pleasant bike ride.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rickcin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    898
    Quote Originally Posted by teelow View Post
    If you are looking for a rail trail, the Catherine Valley Trail is nearby. It is many miles long and very easy to ride. There is also a trail farther north (maybe 20 minutes) called the Keuka Connector Trail. It is a biking/walking trail that goes from Seneca Lake to Penn Yan on the north end of Keuka Lake. Maybe 10 miles long or so. Both are very friendly for non-technical riders who just want a pleasant bike ride.
    I am guessing they are not paved?

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    153
    No, they are hard-packed dirt or cinder/gravel. My wife rides them on a hybrid-type bike.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: RossJamis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    382
    You've probably already went but if not make sure you hike the Gorge itself. For me that is one of the best things about Watkins Glen.
    When you've seen someone rupture their scrotum on a bike you won't take the standards for top tube clearance lightly!

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rickcin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    898
    Quote Originally Posted by RossJamis View Post
    You've probably already went but if not make sure you hike the Gorge itself. For me that is one of the best things about Watkins Glen.
    You are correct, the Gorge Trail is amazing and is like being on another continent, never mind still in New York state.
    One concerning factor is the very small and fragmented sections of rock that are cantilevered many feet in the air over the trail with people are walking!We did the hike on a rainy day and I had mentioned to my wife the obvious danger. Within minutes of saying that, we witnessed the noise associated with some fallen rocks up ahead. That was all it took for us, we turned around and headed back and out.

    Considering I work in the construction industry and OSHA regulations do not allow people to be in a trench or excavation beyond five feet deep without side protection, it is amazing that droves of people walk this Gorge every day, russian roulette!

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: RossJamis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    382
    Quote Originally Posted by rickcin View Post
    You are correct, the Gorge Trail is amazing and is like being on another continent, never mind still in New York state.
    One concerning factor is the very small and fragmented sections of rock that are cantilevered many feet in the air over the trail with people are walking!We did the hike on a rainy day and I had mentioned to my wife the obvious danger. Within minutes of saying that, we witnessed the noise associated with some fallen rocks up ahead. That was all it took for us, we turned around and headed back and out.

    Considering I work in the construction industry and OSHA regulations do not allow people to be in a trench or excavation beyond five feet deep without side protection, it is amazing that droves of people walk this Gorge every day, russian roulette!
    Well maybe so but I bet the odds are many times higher that you will be injured driving too or from the falls vs having something fall on you there. Since you didn't hike the whole thing you probably didn't see the beauty of the park at the top. There is also a small side trail that takes you to an enormous railroad bridge that spans a very highpoint in the gorge.
    When you've seen someone rupture their scrotum on a bike you won't take the standards for top tube clearance lightly!

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rickcin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    898
    You are correct, the odds of getting hurt are not high and we did see the high bridge and did a little bit of the side trail

    The Gorge is magnificent and very worthwhile !

Similar Threads

  1. Glen Park WTF?
    By mtnbiker64 in forum Pennsylvania
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-15-2012, 05:00 AM
  2. Glen challenge
    By Justin Credible in forum New York
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-08-2012, 10:19 AM
  3. Glen Major/walker/DF
    By thewake in forum Eastern Canada
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03-26-2012, 07:06 AM
  4. Glen Park?
    By Big C in forum Pennsylvania
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-20-2012, 08:40 PM
  5. Near Glen Mills?
    By GoPhilly in forum Pennsylvania
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-22-2011, 08:52 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •