mtbr member
    May 2007

Updates on Garnet Hill Lodge Conditions

Hello All,
    Normally just a lurker, haven't really ridden much mountain in the last 15 years, but may or may not have been convinced to try the 24 hours at Garnet Hill. Anyone have any word on the conditions there?

I'll be doing it on a gold 1998 Trek 7000 with a Surly rigid fork and the widest tires I could fit. Been doing a lot of road miles this year but my first trip off road in 15 years was Thursday at Luther Forest (Malta) and I had to walk a few of the rootier climbs and descents.

Any advice? Think its doable by a beginner on a rigid? Am I crazy?

Thanks in advance

Here's a link to the course description and map
    http://adkracemgmt.com/pulsepro/data...heJimboMap.pdf

And here is the info on the lodge grounds and trains

Summer Activities at Garnet Hill Lodge in the Adirondacks

mtbr member
    24 hours is a long time on a rigid 26er. Probably make for some good memories!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaBass_ View Post
    24 hours is a long time on a rigid 26er. Probably make for some good memories!
    Memories are exactly why I'm doing it! No aspirations to win or place. Just going out to enjoy myself and get in a little suffering. I'm doing the Ragnar at the end of September and solo touring to Maine the first weekend in October for the same reasons. I am on a 2 man team so I'll get a break but the guy I'm racing with did Leadville last year so my breaks will be a lot shorter than his, I'm sure.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Visited Garnet Hill yesterday. Trails are pretty decent. Grassy double track for the most part. Fairly smooth, not washed out at all even after all the rain we've had. Not a lot of mud. Some rocks but not bad. Most trails were fairly easy on a front suspension 29'er. Trails are well marked and tons of signage. Definitely a nice, beginner friendly XC place. We rode one Black Diamond (Accidentally) and it wasn't too bad, just lots of loose dirt and surface rocks. Plenty of options to have fun too, since there are many lines through each run. Easy to tie a bunch of different runs together and keep it flowy. The race is going to be a blast and I could see myself visiting again.

There is no bike shop there that I could find, maybe it just was closed.

Be prepared to climb. We did about 1600ft in 15 miles and we weren't going out of our way looking for climbs.

Some photos