mtbr member

Trails Near Sacandaga Lake

I'm headed to the Northville, NY area (near Sacandaga Lake) in late June and was interested in doing some riding within an hour of the town. Does anyone have recommendations?

mtbr member
    Within an hour you have the SMBA trails (SMBA) in Saratoga Springs (Greenfield technically) and Moreau State Park (Moreau Lake State Park - NYS Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation).

I've heard of some trails in the Northville area but I haven't personally ridden them. The guys at Adirondack Velo might be able to give you some directions - Adirondack Velo Club
    Saratoga Mountain Bike Association - www.saratogamtb.org

"Tri" sticker. Translation: "One Less Good Bike Handler."

mtbr member
    Thanks for the response. I'll contact the ADK Velo guys and see what they recommend.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Oak Mountain in Speculator, NY. It's about 30mins north on Rt 30.
    Mountain Biking

mtbr member
    Nice. Oak Mountain is actually closer to where me and a buddy will be camping (Sacandaga River Campground). Thanks for the info.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by noreasterbackcountry View Post
    Nice. Oak Mountain is actually closer to where me and a buddy will be camping (Sacandaga River Campground). Thanks for the info.
    I believe they have more DH oriented trails than XC/AM stuff. The mountain is small, and they just started building trails last year so they don't have a huge, extensive trail network yet.

short timer
    Jul 2008
    You'll actually be at the campground closer to Wells right? I can give you directions to a bunch of options. I've been helping out at Oak. The XC is coming along slowly. One short loop completed and another close. They will be spinning the lift for DH rides.
    There are some other options for you right from the campsite. Albeit hiking trails they are ridden at times. I usually ride them in the winter. If you have a map look for Girard's Sugar Bush, Pine Orchard and Pumpkin hollow. There is a road just outside of Wells that splits the trail so you can adjust your mileage. Also if you ride up RT 8 to Griffin Gorge and cross the east branch of the Sacandaga there is a jeep road that turns to a path that will bring you to the East side of the Sacandaga River. Follow that North to the abandoned road and onto the Speculator MTB Trails (dirt road). Pick up Elm Lake Road to Oak Mtn.

short timer
    Jul 2008
    and be sure to stop at the Lake House Grill in Wells. Good beer on tap and good food.

mtbr member
    More great info. Thanks alot guys!

mtbr member
    If you ever need a guide for the trails close to Boston definitely let me know and I'd be happy to show you around.

mtbr member
    Here's a trip report on one of the trails that my buddy and I rode on my stay in the Sacandaga area. It starts on Pumpkin Hollow Road near Hope and follows the snowmobile trails (*gasp*) over to Pine Orchard. It was fairly rideable - for a snowmobile trail.

Nor'Easter Backcountry: Sacandaga Area Trails: The Pine Orchard Odyssey