mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Trails near Oneonta/Hamilton/Norwich, NY?

I'm headed to the Oneonta/Hamilton/Norwich area this weekend...are there any good trails nearby? I would usually make the trek to Plattekill but I'm digging XC lately. Sounds like some stuff near Oneonta via the bike club there? Anything else? I'm happy to drive a bit but I'd like to keep it to about half an hour. Have a Cannondale Rush that will handle quite a bit.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    You need to hit the trails just above the Colgate campus in Hamilton. We just rode there last weekend and the trails are in great shape. A bit of climbing to get up to the trails, but way fun once you get up top. Not the longest ride, you can probably ride all the trails in about 1 1/2 hours, but well worth it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Is there parking nearby? Colleges can be touchy...

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    You can park in the center of town (Hamilton) and it's a short ride up to the trails. Truthfully, there isn't much happening on campus right now, so you can park wherever. I ended up driving almost all the way up to the trails on Sunday. The road ends at a cemetary and the trails begin just to the far side of it, so parking is allowed.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Alright, thanks! Is this the trail network in question? Colgate Trails: Oneonta MTB and Reviews

It looks like there is parking by the swimming pool and chapel house...iirc when driving by there, the swimming pool sits at the bottom of a very large hill...might be better to park up at the top.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    How about the Charles Baker/Brookfield town forest? That area looks huge...but as it's equestrian, it probably sucks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    That is the trail network, although there are more trails than shown on that map. We usually finish on the trail that comes down by the pool. Instead, take Alumni Road up to the top and have fun. BTW, there are brochures that show the trail system. They used to be available at the shop in town, which isn't there any longer. I'm not sure how to get them now, sorry.