i moto too
    Dec 2008

trails near montgomery, ny

heading to Montgomery, NY with a friend and we would like to try to get in a little ride near there or somewhere on our way. probably heading up either 209n-84e or 287n-87n-84w. just some intermediate single track that has a map or wouldn’t be too hard to navigate and would be great to know if any place should be avoided because of lots of hunters. any info to help narrow my search would be appreciated. was just reading some on stewart but I thought I read they close it during some hunting - would that even be open this week - or is it best to stay away?

mtbr member
    May 2012

Trails near montgomery

Hunting season is in full swing right now. I would stay away from Stewart unless you are going with lights after sundown. Camp Orange is non hunting but I would still be cautious as some hunters wander into places they shouldn't. If you have time, drive to Lippmann Park in Wawarsing, its a town park with great trails and no hunters.
    Fats in the Cats MTB club has a website with trail maps.

Enjoy your trip

i moto too
    Dec 2008
    thanks! I was looking at orange, but you think there still may be hunters. lippman is a little out of the way the opposite direction but maybe it’s worth it not to have to worry about hunters. would you say one trail is better right now with the leaves (staying on the trail/slippery/hidden rocks/etc.)?

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Hunters should not be at Camp Orange but last year I heard shots that were much closer than I had expected. I would not worry about going there but would advise wearing bright colors. Camp Orange borders private property and farms that may have hunters. I have not ridden there this fall so I cannot say how the leaves are but I know Lippman trails are cleared by the Renegades MTB Club and they do a great job.

i moto too
    Dec 2008
    cool - thanks for the info.

mtbr member
    There's no map of Camp Orange @ the Fats site yet, we'll have it as soon as possible.

For navigational purposes and good riding, best bet is probably Lippman Park. Note that if you take the new connector to Lundy, there IS hunting there.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

trails near montgomery, ny

Another vote for Lippman, one if my favorite trails. I saw the Renegades mtb club there 2 weeks ago, they were planning on leave blowing all the trails later that same week.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Another Vote for Lippman! This place has really grown on me. It is now one of my favorite places to ride. They packed in soo much trail at this place! It is pretty much all Leaf Blown right now. Camp Orange is good but it is difficult to navigate without some knowledge. You might end up just riding double track and fire roads.

Hoping to stir discussion on trails in lower New York State/North Jersey! Links/reviews/videos/maps in comments! : MTB

That is list of lower Hudson Valley trails posted on Reddit a year or so ago. There is some fantastic riding around.

Stewart is great but closed to riders for the next few weeks due to hunting. Shame because its practically in Montegomery and awesome flowy Xc riding.

Lippman is fantastic. A great network of purpose built mtb trails. Trail map on the Renegades website. New trails built since it was mapped. Go all the way up the hill to Arizona. To the right is State Land trail, which is my favorite trail there.

Right across the Newburgh Beacon bridge is MT Beacon. This place is gnarly all mountain riding. Ive done it on a hardtail but also seen people on full DH rigs. huge fire road to the top.

With some driving you can hit fantastic trails. North Jersey has Wawayanda, Ringwood, Jungle Habitat.

Peekskill has Blue Mountain. Theres also the 909 but its far for you probly.

Up near New Paltz there is Lippman, Shaupeneak Ridge, Illinois Mountain.

In chester, theres Goose Pond Mountain but it kinda sucks.

Lippman Park is by far your best bet. The riding is fantastic and theres plenty of it. You pretty much cant get lost for long. If you climb Lower Ledge/Cyclone to the top, its pretty much an undulating descent for 40 minutes. Its also leaf blown and well built and maintained.

hit me up for more info on any place you decide to ride. If you are coming from NYC, there is fantastic technical riding ing Westchester and North Jersey on the way.

mtbr member
    Camp orange is relatively safe, just wear some orange and some jingly bells on the bike somewhere as a precaution as I have encountered hunters on the outer fringes. That goes for almost anywhere this time of year, I see treestands in supposedly "no hunting" areas and encountered them after dark. Fortunately the leaves have been blown off the trees from recent storms and windy days, so we are very visible this year.
    To appreciate the flowers you must also walk among s**t to know the difference

'Tis but a scratch
    Stewart is crawling with hunters right now and DEC will actually fine you if you are in there during regular big game which goes thru 12/17. For future reference there is a pretty good map here: Stewards of Stewart Maps

Camp Orange is supposed to be hunter-free. I was there a week ago and didn't see a soul. But, its never a bad idea to be visible just in case. As for a map, I have yet to discover one. I have been slowly learning my way around. Its a nice secluded park with very little traffic and has some nice single track. If you look up Highland Lakes State Park and take a look at the surrounding roads, you'll see its not too big and would be hard to get too lost. Camp Orange Rd (dirt road, closed to traffic) runs right thru it. You can park on Tamms Rd (41.504223,-74.334057). There are some tracks available on Trimble Outdoors and Everytrail (some of these may be mine).

I am not very familiar with Lippman (only been once), but it was cool. I used the map and didn't get lost. There is lots of single-track jammed into a small amount of space. And there is a good map here: http://renegadesmtbcom.ipage.com/lip...map-112013.png

Have fun