mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Trails near Binghamton?

I'll be in Binghamton this weekend and can get a ride in on Monday morning. Where should I ride? I love techy stuff...good downhills, jumps, etc but will gladly do a good XC ride as well.

Thanks
    Tom

mtbr member
    You can try Chenango Valley State Park. I have friends who ride there on occasion and I believe they have a race at least once a year there; so there are some trails. I would assume they are more xc oriented since it's a state/local park but that is just my guess. Really don't know how the trails are though but that is where I would start. I remember a long time ago someone mentioning that 1 of the bike shops in that area is pretty decent and they might be able to help you out a little too. I wouldn't be surprised if that is the only place to ride that's within a reasonable distance from Bing.
    "Like" the Brewery Ommegang facebook team page

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Team-...18356588347806

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Rode there this summer...
    ...how different it was being so dry.

Here's the link from my activities:
    Chenango Valley State Park NY and AMA Vintage Dirt Track Nationals 6/30/12

Years back did the races at CVSP, don't think they host races anymore, wish they did it is a great place to race/ride and worth the 80 mile trip for me. Hope you get to check it out yourself sometime.

Lots of info here:
    Cycle-Cny

mtbr member
    May 2012
    If you can spare about 1.5 - 2hrs on the way up there, you should try to hit Walnut Mtn in Liberty. Take a look at the Renegades website for info.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    There's absolutely no reason to drive an hour or more away from Binghamton for good riding. I second the Chenango Valley State Park suggestion. Most of the "good" techy trails are unmarked, however. Just look for stone cairns along the main trails and some narrow singletrack that leads off of them for those. There are a bunch of loops off the "Phone Booth Trail" that are really fun. The other trails are in what is referred to as the "Middle Kingdom," which is the area surrounded by the Sylvan Trail. Also, the trails at the northern end of the park are really fun. Here's an official trail map: http://nysparks.com/parks/attachment...eyTrailMap.pdf

There is super, SUPER techy stuff at Jones Park, in Vestal. That map is here: http://www.jonesparkchronicles.com/J...rkColorPDF.pdf

mtbr member
    Not to be a jerk but if he had 1.5 - 2 hrs to spare on a one way drive he would go to the Ithaca area an hour away.
    "Like" the Brewery Ommegang facebook team page

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Team-...18356588347806

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Well... YEAH. I may be a *bit* biased since I live less than a mile away from it, but Shindagin is the absolute most awesomest place ever!!! But really, if he's already visiting Binghamton, there's plenty of good riding down there and no need to put more miles in on the pavement.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by mudgirl View Post
    Most of the "good" techy trails are unmarked, however. Just look for stone cairns along the main trails and some narrow singletrack that leads off of them for those. There are a bunch of loops off the "Phone Booth Trail" that are really fun. The other trails are in what is referred to as the "Middle Kingdom," which is the area surrounded by the Sylvan Trail. Also, the trails at the northern end of the park are really fun.

CVSP is super, I found a few new trails off Cabin Trail when I visited...
    ...at least new to me!

Incredulous bastard
    Quote Originally Posted by mudgirl View Post
    There is super, SUPER techy stuff at Jones Park, in Vestal. That map is here: http://www.jonesparkchronicles.com/J...rkColorPDF.pdf
    Well...don't oversell it. Sure, Jones has steep sections, off-camber sections, rooty climbs, and even a couple of rocks bigger than a bread basket. These trails are rooty and can be technical and are certainly fun, the reality is central NY is full of buff trails--not technical trails. Rocky sections, or rocks, for that matter, are fairly few and far between. In short, it ain't Debacle.

It's not that these trails aren't somewhat difficult, but you probably ought to know your audience. In this case, it's Tom Church, who appears to live in the vicinity of Ninham and Blue Mountain Reservation. Basically the best option for actual technical trails is 1 hour south in the Scranton area. Moosic Mountain Reservation is now my top suggestion over Merli-Sarnoski, but both are excellent and include technical sections. And the best part is that you don't need a guide at all to have a great ride at either location--this is particularly true with Moosic.

Also within an hour is Shindagin or Oakley Corners. Although not technical, there's lots of fast trail fun to be had. Both are fine to ride without a guide.

Chenango is also fun. And while it's also very rocky, the rocks are all smaller than a bread basket. But the problem is that I can't imagine anyone new to the area having a reasonable ride there without a guide. It would be very easy to miss the majority of the good trails.