Rider, Builder, Dreamer

Trail Work Day, Oneonta, Saturday April 27th

As part of my independent study in Advanced Trail Design & Construction I will be leading a trail construction day on Saturday, April 27th in Homer Folks Forest in Oneonta, NY. All are welcome. We will be building a new technical, rocky, multi-purpose trail that is geared toward mountain bikers. Since this will be a "black diamond" rated trail for bikers, we're calling it Black Coffee.

The trail will be approximately 1.2 miles long; how much we get done depends largely on the turnout on build day. Details are below are tentative and will be solidified as we approach the build day.

08:15 AM: Crew Leader Meeting, Homer Folks Forest trailhead
    09:00 AM: Meet at Homer Folks Forest trailhead, walk up to site
    09:15 AM: Safety Meeting, Trail building tutorial
    09:45 AM: Division into groups, hike to designated sections of trail
    10:00 AM: Digging at respective sections
    12:45 PM: Return tools at site entrance, thank you's, pack up, etc.

Volunteers are more than welcome, even if you don't have any trail building experience. This could be a fun and valuable learning opportunity. Right now I have 4 crew leaders working under me and would love to have a couple more. The crew leaders are people who have experience building trail, in the sense of bench cutting, ensuring proper use of inslope/outslope, grade reversals, etc.

Bring your bike and riding clothes for a ride afterward!

Please pass the word on to your clubs/riding buddies/enemies/etc. and let me know if you're interested in joining. Cheers!

Sam Brown-Shaklee
    Oneonta Mountain Biking

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I don't have any trail building experience, but would like to help out.

Rider, Builder, Dreamer
    Nehpets, where would you be coming from? will you want to ride afterward? bring some friends!

Rider, Builder, Dreamer
    UPDATE: Trail day changed to Saturday, May 4th. Any and all are welcome to attend.

Google Maps:
    Oneonta, NY to Hill St - Google Maps

Hope to see you there!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I might be there. I'm coming up for the weekend to do some riding (mini vacation) so I might join in.
    Firm believer in Karma

Rider, Builder, Dreamer
    Cool man! Hope to see you out! Got a couple other 'Wick kids showing up too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    What's the protocol on getting there late? I'm guessing I'm going to be hungover/biking there and will probably miss some the early stuff.
    Firm believer in Karma

Rider, Builder, Dreamer
    Quote Originally Posted by wanderingdave View Post
    What's the protocol on getting there late? I'm guessing I'm going to be hungover/biking there and will probably miss some the early stuff.
    Just head up to the water tanks, head onto Stinger. At the first split you see, bear left. Look for blue flags and/or people with tools. Check your PM for my phone number.