Rider, Builder, Dreamer

Trail Building Workshop

Who's been to one? Who would be interested in going to one? We're looking to put one on in Oneonta and trying to get a feel for the potential success.

Tools and refreshments would be provided.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    SMBA hosted an IMBA Trail Care Crew weekend in 2011. The trail building school was held in Pittstown NY. We had approx 45 people attend. Not bad for a rural area....and we only had a month or so of notice to advertise. It was a great event and it helped kick start the trail building efforts in Pittstown!!

We applied for another IMBA TCC day in 2013. Fingers crossed!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by cbcbike View Post
    SMBA hosted an IMBA Trail Care Crew weekend in 2011. The trail building school was held in Pittstown NY. We had approx 45 people attend. Not bad for a rural area....and we only had a month or so of notice to advertise. It was a great event and it helped kick start the trail building efforts in Pittstown!!

We applied for another IMBA TCC day in 2013. Fingers crossed!!
    SMBA invited MTB'ers, local hiking group, local equestrian group, DEC staff, OPRHP staff, Skidmore College staff and some Parks folks from local towns.

Attendees consisted of MTB'ers, our local DEC forester, and OPRHP staff. The vast majority of folks were MTB'ers. We had no other user groups show up.

IMO, if you're going to do something do it right. Get an IMBA Trail Care Visit. If you're trying to leave a good impression with land managers, the IMBA crew is extremely professional and really puts on a great training class. Also having IMBA there gives immediate and significant credibility to your group and it's efforts.

After some digging, I don't believe you need to be an IMBA club, just an IMBA member (individual). They have additional presentations that might be very usefull for you. We had the Club Care and Land Manager sessions. Both were excellent and well worth the extra time to plan. You can see them here: TCC Eduction and Outreach Programs | International Mountain Bicycling Association

PM or email me if you want more info (you should have my email already). I'd be happy to discuss our experience, and what was required to make it successful.