Hi All,

I would like to take a minute and update everyone on the efforts that the Saratoga Mountain Bike Assoc (SMBA) has going on in Pittstown NY State Forest.

For those that are not familiar with Pittstown, it is an 1150 acre State Forest located approx 15 miles east of Troy on NY Rt 7 (2 miles north of Grafton Lakes SP). There are many miles of existing trails in the State Forest. The property has a lot of elevation and very diverse terrain – from steep, rocky & technical -to- smooth, open & flowy.

Last year the NY Department of Environmental Conservation granted SMBA an Adopt-a-Natural-Resource stewardship for Pittstown State Forest. This allows us to perform trail maintenance and new trail construction. Last year we began cleaning up the existing trails, and laying out plans for new multi-use trails. Towards the end of the season we broke ground on a new trail called Red Pine.

This year we will finish the Red Pine trail, and we’ve been approved to build another 2 new trails!! The new trails have been scouted, flagged and are ready to cut! Exciting Stuff!!

SMBA will be hosting several trail work days throughout the year (see schedule below).

Pittstown SF Trail Days (9am – 1pm)
Sunday 4/29
Sunday 7/8
Sunday 8/12
Sunday 9/30

In addition to the trail days, we will also be doing a number of impromptu work days here and there. If you would like to get involved with the work days, please let me know and I will keep you posted anytime we’re heading out there.

We sincerely appreciate all the volunteers that come out and help with the trail work. The work being done in Pittstown would not be possible without the efforts of the volunteer crews! Thank You!!

For more info on SMBA or Pittstown check out our website @ saratogamtb.org

Thanks,
Chris Cavanaugh
SMBA Regional Trail Rep – Pittstown SF