mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Tires for Long Island

Hey guys,

Just getting back into biking and I'm looking to upgrade my tires. I have the original Bontrager Jones XR tires that came on my bike and I really don't like them at all.

I'm looking for something that will be good in sand, hardpack and loose mud. Something that will really dig in and hold on while hitting a turn.

What can the rest of the Long Island riders recommend for me?

Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I ride 2.2" ritchey speedmax beta semi slicks, the ones with the diamond pattern center and knobby edge. I mostly ride eastern long island so conditions may be different but they are the best tires i have ever used all around. Low rolling resistance on hardpack, pretty good grip on all but the loosest conditions. Predictable cornering and breakaway. Not brutally hard to get off the rim like some of the others i have had. For extreme off road conditions i like the Velociraptors

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Thanks for your input. The Velociraptors look more my style, but I probably should have mentioned I have a 29er.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I run a ramage 2.35 on the front and a Ignitor on the rear. It's the biggest tire I can fit in the rear of my 29er. Mostly ride single track. Glacier ridge,stillwell.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Currently running Hutch Pythons.

I have went thru in the last year,
    Kenda Kaarma: Fast and grip well
    Small Block 8s: which roll really well, but do not shed mud
    Knobby Nics: They do not roll very well and the side knobs seem to flex which gave a ride that was inconsistant
    Racing Ralph: They roll better than the KNs but exhibit the same sensation with the side Knob
    Hutch Pythons: Roll Great and have a very predictable feel to them. They do not offer the best Traction in all arenas. Mostly lacking in sand, but they are predictable.

Most of Long Island is flat and fast and Pretty much any tire will work (Even the smoke and dart), But I prefer a tire that rolls fast.

I have ridden bikes with Nevagals and they seem to be a great all around tire

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    My 2.1" Nevegals have 340 miles on them, almost three years old, and they've never let me down.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Anything that can handle loose sand well. We got a lot of it here.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I have Intense system 4 in rear and system 5 in front. I only have 3 rides on them but at 3 diff trails. Shorum which is very tough and techy with aome very difficult obstacles but hamdled great. RP which is fast and mostly flat hardpack and it takes the corners like a dream without alot of rolling resistance and ES which is sum like RP but also has the toughest hill climbs on LI. Besides thefew runs that i have to walk up cause my bike ia not geared properly the tires are awesome on the steep climbs and very dependable on rocky downhills. Buy theae tires u will not be let down

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    RK......Stilly Yes!!!!! I used to use a smoke and dart there :-)

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Definitely time to upgrade my tires. My front tire leaks about 10 psi in just 2 days. Been sliding all around lately as well with the damper than normal conditions. Are there any LBS that will carry any of the tires mentioned?

mtbr member
    Any recommendations for tires to bike on roads to the trail, for the trail, and back from the trail? I've got a set of Negevals that seem to absolutely suck up energy while on roads.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I'm going to look this weekend for tires can anyone recommend any good local bike stores? Adams Cyclery is around the corner from me, but I want to check out some other options as well.

banned
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by spartacus View Post
    RK......Stilly Yes!!!!! I used to use a smoke and dart there :-)
    I only use schwalbe racing Ralph's here on the island. I hammer all the trails with these. Sparta those are good tires but mine are better. Still think you are me? I think not my friend

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    I ride with a WTB Bronson 2.3 up front, very fast in hardback & the knobs on the sides are very aggressive and corner exceptionally in sandy soil. since I've started using them, everyone else riding out of my LBS has switched to them, too. in back, I run a GEAX AKA 2.2. Also very fast & great grip in everything but mud.

Best LBS in Long Island? Cycle Haven in Oyster Bay gets my vote.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by The OLE Bagger View Post
    I only use schwalbe racing Ralph's here on the island. I hammer all the trails with these. Sparta those are good tires but mine are better. Still think you are me? I think not my friend
    I used the nn and rr and couldn't justify the high cost for the performance. After switching from brand to brand and different models I keep going back to the pythons.

Funny you mention
    The butt munches at climb thought I was you. Cerberos, sick4surf, havoc, crackhead.......I have aliases at vision, but not climb.....hell I am not even at climb. They banned me for NO reason. I love the crap you stir when you go there. Some of your comments have me pissing my pants. Next time you go there tell em Sparty says HI.

banned
    Jan 2013
    I am also banned on climb for no reason. Well.....I guess they have reasons. Not a fan of any of those dudes....the bagger lives and is well.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I am also banned on climb for no reason. Well.....I guess they have reasons. Not a fan of any of those dudes....the bagger lives and is well.
    Ride on Bagger!

banned
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by spartacus View Post
    Ride on Bagger!
    You know what the best part is.....the group that I ride with.....we have met all of you. In parking lots, on the trails, at races...everywhere. I know who you are. We have talked. We say hi to others riders....always nice. But you dont who we are which is the best part. We like the shadows. And.....we are pretty fast. Maybe not 1:32:26 poppin a cork on the Westside fast. But I have done Rocky in 1:36.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

You know what the best part is.....the group that I ride with.....we have met all of you. In parking lots, on the trails, at races...everywhere. I know who you are. We have talked. We say hi to others riders....always nice. But you dont who we are which is the best part. We like the shadows. And.....we are pretty fast. Maybe not 1:32:26 poppin a cork on the Westside fast. But I have done Rocky in 1:36.
    Very respectable bagman!
    But dont call me one of them........They are not me.... I am spartacus!!!
    I am a rebel who tried to fit in with the clique. I ride the snot out of my Pythons (sub 1:30s) and when given the chance rub thier tires.

I am old...smelly and dirty.....riding my AM bike for its worth....which pisses them off.

But its all good

You need to Join me for one of my ESS rides

banned
    Jan 2013
    This would require me coming out of the shadows. Not sure. Too much this way. Years of fun would be gone.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Its all good. Do your thing

I like rdiing solo or sometime with my buds.

keep up fun......it always makes me laugh