mtbr member
    May 2013

Is there any winter riding in Rochester, NY ?

So it looks like I will be in my hometown for the Christmas holiday.Are there any trails that can be ridden if there is snow on the ground? More importantly , are there any local shops that will provide rental mountain bikes? I'll be staying in Rush so if there are some outlying areas from the city that would work too. Thanks for any replies in advance.
    2012 GT Karakoram
    2013 Scott Genius 940

mtbr member
    I believe there is an organization in town that has procured some local trails but I'm not sure about winter use. GROC (maybe) is the group? You may just have to call the shops to find out about rentals in the winter.
    Get me the knuckles of Frisco..

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Some shops may have Fat Bike demos. As for winter riding - if you are in Rush, the Lehigh Valley Trail comes to mind, but it is flat and straight. Places that get a lot of foot traffic work well to pack the snow down - Corbett's Glenn in Brighton comes to mind. If there is no snow, but the ground is frozen, any of the local trails are ridable. Check the GROC site for more info on them. If there is snow, avoid the parks that are groomed for XC skiing.

mtbr member
    May 2013

Thanks for the replies

I emailed Tryon Bikes and they have demos for rent and said would try and hook me up with some local riders when I have a better grasp of what day I'll be riding. I have to say Tryon has been spot on with emails, within 24 hours to reply. They have some nice demo bikes on their homepage. I've never ridden a fatbike but the Kona Satori has the edge for now.
    2012 GT Karakoram
    2013 Scott Genius 940

mtbr member
    That's good news. Enjoy your demo! If it thaws, you may have to avoid the trail systems for now.
    Get me the knuckles of Frisco..