mtbr member

Thacher North / Long Path

I rode the northern section of Thacher Park last weekend for the first time and ended up on sections of the Long Path. The Long Path was really to rocky & craggy for me. Curious if it is even open to mt bikes. I didn't see any restriction signs except for motor vehicles.

The rest of the northern section of the park, perimeter trail, overlook road, hang glider road were dry and fast!

Oh and there is an angry terrier on Ryan Rd that will give your sprinting a work out.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Thacher Park north is open to mountain bikes. There are some great trails there. The ones at the top of the hill can get very wet if we've had a lot of rain.

One of my favorites is the yellow trail from the Carrick Road parking area to the parking area on Old Stage Road. It's not too rocky, mostly down-hill and twisty-turny.

Did you see the old car? It's a 1949 Chevy Fastback.

mtbr member
    The long path is hit or miss. I live in Schoharie co. and a decent portion of the best trails in the area are the Long Path. There are also sections in East Berne area that are fantastic singletrack, as good and in my opinion more fun then Thacher. Not very far from the Albany area either. I've written about them for a couple of years on here and on the capitalmtb forum but nobody has ever seemed to interested in trying anything new. I've never ridden it but I'm under the impression that the section of Long Path between Thacher and East Berne (cole hill area) isn't worth riding.

There is also a pretty big section of trails past East Berne called Partridge Run forest and Partridge run game management area, which has a mix of the Long Path running through it along with other trails part of the state forest. You could probably fit Thacher Park in the Partridge Run forests about 3 - 4 times.
    "Like" the Brewery Ommegang facebook team page

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Team-...18356588347806

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    qdawgg I'm interested in the East Berne singletrack! Where can I find out more about them?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by miatagal96 View Post

Did you see the old car? It's a 1949 Chevy Fastback.

Missed it, but will keep my eyes open for next time.

The yellow trail wasn't wet at all last week, but conditions may have changed with the rain.

I've ridden Partridge Run before. Lot of open land there! The last time, I brought our dog and she had a blast trying to keep pace. Not sure if that is condoned, but it is so isolated there that we didn't see anyone all day.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I think the car is on one of the white trails.

The yellow and upper sections of the Long Path can probably take a bit of rain before they get too wet as it has been really dry this summer. If we have a summer when it rains every 3 days or so, it never dries out up there.

I love those Thacher North trails. Watch out for poison ivy on some of the single-track.

I've never been to Partridge run.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pro12tc View Post
    qdawgg I'm interested in the East Berne singletrack! Where can I find out more about them?
    Go to google maps and type in

"cole hill road, east berne, ny"

When you drive up Cole Hill Rd. (assuming you turned on to cole hill from 443) you will drive up the hill maybe 1 - 2 miles. On the right hand side is a decent size parking area and there used to be a wooden kiosk there if it hasn't fallen down. Right from that parking lot there is a section of the long path. As long as you follow the green markers you can't get lost or mixed up b/c there are some other single track that runs in and out of the long path. It's very easy to follow though. To keep it easy, the trail is basically an out and back. You will cross one main road and then a gravel road, at the 3rd road the long path continues down a road. This is where most people turn around and do the trail in reverse.

If you followed the road it brings you to the partridge run state forest. I've never done this but you could probably make a 20+ mile out and back by doing this. I have the long path trail book and it sounds like you would follow the road, cut through some farmland/fields, and it would bring you to partridge run.

Once you become more acclimated to cole hill you can start exploring some of the other singletrack that weaves in and out of the long path. If you want, I'd be more then happy to show you around sometime, just send me a PM with contact info and we'll see if we can get together. Have family and house project going on for the next few days but after that I'm pretty free and I'm a teacher so I can mostly ride any time of the day.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the comments. Will have to look for Cole Hill later this Summer. 20 mile ride all on dirt sounds appealing.

FYI nysparks website has some good maps of the Thacher North section.

Thacher State Park (John Boyd Thacher) Maps - NYS Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation

mtbr member
    I'll second the vote for Cole Hill SF. I went there a few times this year (based on q's rec) and I liked it very much. I made the mistake of taking a few of the different colored trails (red-yellow) and got lost a bit, but eventually found my way back to the LP (thanks to my dog).

I also like the Thacher Park (carrick rd) trails and they must be getting more popular b/c I was doing a road ride on Old Stage Rd and the parking lot looked packed with cars (bike racks on top).

Another nice option when riding the Thacher trails on hot summer days is to ride over to the nature center and down to Thompson's lake to cool off.

mtbr member
    Let me know if anyone wants to hook up for a ride there tomorrow or sunday.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by erudition12000 View Post

Oh and there is an angry terrier on Ryan Rd that will give your sprinting a work out.
    Just noticed this post. That dog chased me too...lol...but I was in my car. I had my dog(avatar pic) with me and they were barking at each other. Was concerned he'd follow me to the trail head but thankfully he didn't and my dog relaxed by the time we hit the trail.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by qdawgg View Post
    Go to google maps and type in

If you followed the road it brings you to the partridge run state forest. I've never done this but you could probably make a 20+ mile out and back by doing this. I have the long path trail book and it sounds like you would follow the road, cut through some farmland/fields, and it would bring you to partridge run.
    q-
    That sounds like a good idea. If you ever plan on doing it and want company put a post up.
    I'm not that fast (I like to blame it on my ancient bike) but I can do OK with distance (two road bike centuries done this year so far).