Thread: swain resort?

S&G CREW
    Feb 2008

swain resort?

Is swain open this weekend was looking for somewhere to ride Sunday.And if so what are the trails like and would it be worth a 3 hr drive?

Rider, Builder, Dreamer
    Hey Bill,

even though it's past the time you would be heading out there, I'll tell you that Swain can be pretty fun. It's only about 400ft of vertical, and a pretty slow lift to get to the top, but the DH trails there are pretty fast and fun. They're old school, but not blown out since there's not a huge crowd who ride there. Lift ticket is pretty cheap; I wanna say $25 for a day and totally worth it.

Best part: you don't need a full-blown DH rig to have a blast there. As long as you've got decent brakes and a plush fork you'll have fun on anything you can drop the seat on. Plenty of guys have fun on 5-6 inch bikes there; having a DH rig just means you can start gapping some things that are otherwise sweet whoops and rollers.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Re: swain resort?

Went to Swain this past weekend and got a 4hr pass for $18 and it was well worth it. Had a blast with a couple buddies, it was the most fun I have had in a long time. The lift ride takes a few mins but is a nice break in between runs.

Go here for more info:
    http://www.swain.com/mountain-biking/

An 8 hour pass is only $25. I can't wait to go back. I only had a Gary Fisher hard tail and still had a blast but like someone else said make sure you have good brakes. They have everything from mowed ski slopes to gravel roads to easy woods riding and real steep tight trails. Lots of natural and man made jumps. Type 'swain mountain biking' on YouTube and you will find a bunch of videos.

That have bike rentals but only 2 mediums at this time, they are working on getting a fleet of bikes.