Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    'Tis but a scratch

Stewart State Forest

Does anybody have any recent intel on the conditions at Newburgh? I'm hoping to go there Thursday 1/31/2013.

I rode there on 12/28/2012 and there was pretty thick snow with an icy coating. No tracks on the single-track and you would just sink. I managed to make a ride of it by staying in the snowmobile tracks on a few of the wider trails and the fire-roads.
    Route here: Newburgh SNOW (145) - Mountain biking trip | EveryTrail

I rode there again on 1/9/2013 and the snowmobiles had gotten around a bit more and some single track was starting to see some action.
    Route here: Stewart - riding in snow - Mountain biking trip | EveryTrail

There has only been a couple light snows since then. If I don't hear from anybody, I may just give it a shot and report back.

Let me know, what you know.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I was out there yesterday afternoon for about an hour. The roads and some of the single track have a thick slush layer over ice which makes for some hard pedaling. The trails to the left off Barron road entrance have surprisingly little snow left on them, but the place is MUDDY. We got quite a bit of rain overnight so I can only imagine the place is a swamp today.

'Tis but a scratch
    Thanks. Yeah, with the rain better let it dry a bit

'Tis but a scratch
    I rode Stewart today. I parked at South Barron entrance and rode all over the place. There is barely any snow left on the ground. Next to nothing on the trails and a little on the fireroads, which seems counter-intuitive. The trails have hardened up with the temperature drop. There are some muddy spots, but not bad. Where there is water, its flowing fast and deep due to recent rains. Overall, its good riding, so get on out there if you can take the cold.

mtbr member
    You must be tough! I just picked up my first FS bike and dying to use but it took it out one day for a ride at Rockland Lake, froze my butt off, lasted about 40 minutes and headed home.

Wanting to try the Haverstraw trail as an opener but not sure of the condition after Sandy. I will have to wait for warmer weather and then check it out.

'Tis but a scratch
    Not tough. I've just learned to dress for cold weather.

mtbr member
    I haven't been to stewart in a couple weeks but was out saturday and sunday night. Any snow on the ground is a dusting and everything is nicely frozen, I saw a lot of tire tracks. Enjoy it before it thaws and turns to mush again.

mtbr member
    How's Stewart looking these days? I'm doing the SSapalooza the end of April and would love to get in there for some "practice"!
    Too soon old-Too late smart!

Big Gulps, Alright!
    It just snowed Monday. Still hasn't melted, so conditions are mushy and sloppy.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    its supposed to be 45 over the next couple days so I would imagine sunday wouldnt be toooo terrible, maybe a little wet still.

mtbr member
    My guess is it will be typically mushy for this time of year, and stewart usually stays wet much longer than most places. I'll probably be there saturday or sunday but I'll have to test the trails for potential damage. If they're too soft I'll ride the fringes, the seldom used and forgotten trails. This is a good time of year to ride them before spring growth overtakes them, and if I do some damage with those big phat 4 inch tires likely no one will ever know.

mtbr member
    Just ride the fire roads and let the trails dry and heal!

mtbr member
    Booooring! Fireroads suck, i'd rather take out the road bike and get some hammertime in.

mtbr member
    Very true, I feel the same but the fire roads are the only consolation if you are there and the trails a mush.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    fire roads will work if you dont have a road bike and cant stand being on the spin bike in the gym anymore
    2009 Gary Fisher HiFi
    riding time is split between central NH and Hudson Valley, NY

mtbr member
    Always better to be outside! Fire roads can't compare to singletrack but fire roads are better than sitting in the house. I take whatever is available, mtn bike on dirt or cyclocross on pavement!

mtbr member
    So i was there today and spent the first half on little used trails. Theres typical standing water and an inch or two of snow in many places. I rode one or two loops of the real trails off of weed road and although they're muddy like you'd expect theyre not squishy soft. I saw lots of tracks, looks like a lot of riders are dusting off their bikes for some saddle time. Although I dressed good for temps the wind would sometimes cut right through you, brrrrrrrr, tomorrow should be a tad less windy and a couple degrees warmer.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the heads up. I'm hoping to get there in a week or so, and with the temps starting to rise conditions should be much improved.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Rode Friday and Sunday, conditions are great

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Great. I'm hoping to get up there this coming weekend. What are the temps like?
    Will you do the fandango?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I think its supposed to be in the mid to upper 50's and mostly sunny for the weekend. Im hoping to get up there too at some point this weekend
    2009 Gary Fisher HiFi
    riding time is split between central NH and Hudson Valley, NY

mtbr member
    Taking the 19th off work, me and a couple of riding buds are heading up there to check it out....very psyched, haven't been there since the DH40!

mtbr member
    Tomorrows heavy rain will ruin my plans to ride at Stewart on Saturday, it will be too wet!

mtbr member
    Had a great ride yesterday! The weather held and the trail was in fantastic shape. We followed the 2012 DH40 course, more or less, and got in 24 miles. I was pleasantly surprised how doable everything was on the full rigid SS having only ridden my geared hardtail there before.
    Still gonna be a tough race next week!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Was at Stewart today as well as last week, dry and fast are the two words that come to mind. The park was surprisingly absent of bikers today. We rode for over three hours and the only guys we saw were a group of five finishing their ride a little before 9 and a loner just starting his ride as we were leaving. We didn't see a single person on the trails, which is a shame for such a beautiful day and such great trail conditions.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast