mtbr member

Stewart Forest - Trail name

I was riding at Stewart on Saturday and came across a trail with the steepest climb of any trail that I have ridden there. It was on the west side of the forest and it was a steep rocky climb, at least for me since I had to walk by bike to the top.

I have no idea how I entered the trail, I think I started on Horse?

Does anyone know the name of that trail that is probably the highest elevation at Stewart?
    Last edited by rickcin; 04-28-2013 at 06:58 PM.

'Tis but a scratch
    I think you are referring to '46 Ford', also known as Escarpment. Check out the map on Stewards of Stewart. That map is coming along but not 100%.

As for the highest point in the park, I believe it is like 658' up on Buchanon Hill (off Maple Rd)...far east. Not very exciting over there, but a good climb and something different. You can see the airport from there.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by huffster View Post
    I think you are referring to '46 Ford', also known as Escarpment. Check out the map on Stewards of Stewart. That map is coming along but not 100%.

As for the highest point in the park, I believe it is like 658' up on Buchanon Hill (off Maple Rd)...far east. Not very exciting over there, but a good climb and something different. You can see the airport from there.
    Excellent response, and thanks for the Stewards of Stewart info. I think we did wander off of Horse and ended up on Escarpment and barely survived our last trail ride. I love Stewart since I can only handle beginner trails without all of the rock gardens.
    We live in Rockland and there are a few places closer than Stewart, but mostly technical trails.
    I am assuming the green colored trails on the Stewart map are the beginner trails?

Thanks again for the response!

'Tis but a scratch
    Quote Originally Posted by rickcin View Post
    I am assuming the green colored trails on the Stewart map are the beginner trails?
    Yup.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    If you are a beginner hit up Bear trail, its a really cool flowing section that will dump you onto Pittman-Robertson, or reverse to New Rd. Neither has anything too technical minus a shale area on Bear and Pittman is so wide you can choose your line or bail way ahead.

Big Gulps, Alright!
    There's a pretty steep one from the SSapalooza race. The strava segment is called "That bastard climb from singlespeedapalooza."