mtbr member

Stewart Forest, North end parking direction?

Have biked at Stewart several times and love it there. We have always parked at the mail Rt 207 lot and wondering how to get to the lot by Rt 84 at the North End of the forest?

We access Stewart from the south, driving north on 87, NYS Thruway.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    87 north, 84 west, exit for airport (rt 747). Right onto 747, left onto 17k, left onto ridge road. Park at the end. Once you get off the thruway it will be about 10 minutes or so from the exit to ridge road.

mtbr member
    Thanks!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    You can also pass Ridge and go in from Barron

mtbr member
    Not sure if the north or south lot is closer when coming from the south? It seems like there are more trails closer to the south end of the forest?

I was there on Saturday riding with the wife and I had a great time. I just love that place and it is about as difficult as I can handle, just a great place to ride for long sweeping trails.I was thinking it would be more crowded but I was pleasantly surprised by the small turnout., especially when considering it was dry, cool and no bugs. How could it get any better??

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Coming off of 84 on to 747 I would say Ridge Rd is the closest, but not by much. When you park off of 207, you're going to be climbing to get back. You can get to everything no matter where you park, it's just a matter of preference and knowing the place. I was out there today with a group of probably 15-20, but didn't see too many people on the trails. Yet on the way out and home both the Ridge and Weed(207) lots had plenty of cars. Trails conditions are great.

mtbr member
    I love it there, but I am an older rider and can get around pretty well but always watching out for others since I feel I should get out of their way.
    When there on Saturday, there were only about 6 cars in the South lot, very surprising for such a nice day.

I really want to get there during the week, take a day off from work and spend a bunch of time just having fun. Saturday was the first day I got to try out my new full suspension bike. I am sure it is overkill, but I love it!

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Hey whatever keeps you riding and having fun. I started on full suspension and have now gone to rigid single speed. As long as it has 2 wheels, it's fun.

mtbr member
    I hear you, it is a healthy and a fun sport! I wish I started years ago but at least I did get there. I have many younger friends who are so out of shape and or lazy that they could never imagine getting on a bike, much less on single track. It is all about desire and motivation.

Hopefully Friday's rain will not turn Stewart to mud, I really want to get back there on Saturday.