Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Stewart Forest

mtbr member

Stewart Forest

We went riding there this afternoon and this place is the best, at least for us!

We need easy single track and this place is the best we have found so far except for a Park or two in Chesapeake VA. Today I spotted 3 big black snakes and I think they is what they are officially called. I happened to run one over while on a fire road. The wife was along side of me and happened to see the snake and she said it was in hot pursuit of a frog that was scrambling to escape. I may have saved a frogs life. All in a days fun!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Black Rat snake my friend. They are all over the place up here, I see at least 1 or two per hike/ride.

Glad to hear you liked Stewart. I just started riding again and I am going there next weekend. Which entrance did you use and what trails/loops did you use? I did some real technical stuff today in Harriman, NY, but like you I'd like to start with something a little easier on me.

mtbr member
    I park at the Weed road parking area and I put in for a vacation day on Thursday hoping to take some time to ride at Stewart but I know rain is on the way.

Will wait and see how the weather goes.

mtbr member
    Weed road? I like this place already!

All Play
    Sep 2012
    Where is this exactly?

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Idea!

Yes ride it, I have ridden/raced there many times...

...and it's a 2 hours drive for me, but the Stew is well worth it. I even hit up the bike tour this past summer just to be supportive and another chance to ride and show a noob around the Stew!

It's a big place and you can get lost so prepare well...

Lots of stuff here on MTBR do a search for "Stewart state forest" Maps and info come up...

Here's one!
    Home - Stewart State Forest Bike Tour, for mountain bikers, presented by SPARC!

Here's the directions map:
    Ride Info - Stewart State Forest Bike Tour, for mountain bikers, presented by SPARC!

pics and such:
    Joe Fix Its, Sloppy Joe's, Stewart Bike the Buffer Tour 7/15/12

Ride it you won't be sorry, please check with NY hunting regulations now that we are in the fall season though.

Ride da Stew

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I'll be there for the Stewards of Stewart group ride this Sunday at 9:30, starting at the Weed Rd. parking lot. Think it's only going to be 2 of us as of now.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    The Stewards group ride is pretty good, the guys who run it (Bill and Dave) know the trails very well and cater to the group that they have that day. They're great guys to ride with.

Stewart itself is pretty amazing with over 70 miles of trails, I try to get there as much as possible, by far my favorite trail.

mtbr member
    grew up about 10 miles from Stewart but didn't really ride bikes in my youth. raced singlespeedapalooza there this past spring and now i make sure to stop there each time i visit my parents. great trails!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodninja View Post
    I'll be there for the Stewards of Stewart group ride this Sunday at 9:30, starting at the Weed Rd. parking lot. Think it's only going to be 2 of us as of now.
    How long does this ride usually go? I'd like to come out, but I have some prior engagements in the afternoon and having never ridden in Stewart I'm not sure I'd find my way back if I leave the pack early!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mamba1220 View Post
    How long does this ride usually go? I'd like to come out, but I have some prior engagements in the afternoon and having never ridden in Stewart I'm not sure I'd find my way back if I leave the pack early!
    They generally pick how long the ride will be based on the group. The nice thing about Stewart though is that there are several fire roads running through it, and you cross them pretty often. For that reason, you can pretty much drop out whenever you hit a fire road and not worry about getting lost.

mtbr member

Stewart Forest

We rode Stewart yesterday and it was great, our favorite place ever to ride. We did get lost for a short period of time over bt Stick Pond. This was our first time that far west in the Park.

How nice is that when you have been there half a dozen times and still do not have the entire place committed to memory.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Rode Stewart today with my son, really fun (though I certainly want to get in there with some higher-paced folks Are the maps from Joe Fix It's the best out there?

Also, I read that hunting starts in the park from Oct. 1 through Nov. Is the park closed to cyclists at that point (or is it a bad idea to be in there during hunting season?)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sashae View Post
    Rode Stewart today with my son, really fun (though I certainly want to get in there with some higher-paced folks Are the maps from Joe Fix It's the best out there?

Also, I read that hunting starts in the park from Oct. 1 through Nov. Is the park closed to cyclists at that point (or is it a bad idea to be in there during hunting season?)
    The Park is open during small game and they will direct you where to bike. Usually, where ever a vehicle is assigned to park and hunt, the ranger will instruct you to bike on the trails on the opposite side of the fire road. It is safe, have been there during small game in the past. When large game opens, some time in November, the park is closed to bikers.

The trails were not wet & muddy today at Stewart???

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    The best resources for bike trail maps and information for Stewart are from Dark Horse Cycles in Montgomery. I find that Joe's is actually lacking in their info.

Also, Stewards of Stewart have a lot of information on their website and weekly trail rides on Wednesday and Sunday.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I actually popped in to Dark Horse and they did give me a trailmap (printed) but said that they didn't get the laminates anymore (litter.)

I was mainly on the fire roads with my son, which were well drained.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sashae View Post
    I actually popped in to Dark Horse and they did give me a trailmap (printed) but said that they didn't get the laminates anymore (litter.)

I was mainly on the fire roads with my son, which were well drained.
    Makes perfect sense, the fire roads would have been fine!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Went for a ride there today for the first time. Absolutely awesome! Mix of fire roads and singletrack kept us busy and our legs working. There is some fast terrain in parts of the park. We were fortunate enough to hookup with a few bikers who had been through the trails before so we tagged along.

As for hunting season I can give you a little insight as I am also a hunter so I see both sides of this. Tomorrow starts bow season and small game season. Small game means shotguns AND rifles will be about the forest. I'd recommend wearing orange. Not for fear of someone mistaking you for a squirrel, more so that if you are downrange when they are taking a shot they will see you.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Thanks a bunch -- I'm likely heading out to ride on Thursday, will keep my antler helmet at home

mtbr member
    Went for a ride there today for the first time. Absolutely awesome! Mix of fire roads and singletrack kept us busy and our legs working. There is some fast terrain in parts of the park. We were fortunate enough to hookup with a few bikers who had been through the trails before so we tagged along.

As for hunting season I can give you a little insight as I am also a hunter so I see both sides of this. Tomorrow starts bow season and small game season. Small game means shotguns AND rifles will be about the forest. I'd recommend wearing orange. Not for fear of someone mistaking you for a squirrel, more so that if you are downrange when they are taking a shot they will see you.
    For what it is worth, the rangers will keep the hunters on one side of the fire roads and the bikers on the other.
    A little separation is good, it is pretty safe!

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Rode Stewart on Friday, put in 14mi of mixed terrain, absolutely glorious day out -- and I didn't get shot! Overall, a win. I will attempt to pad my post count to post photos, cause hey why not

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    edit

mtbr member
    Dec 2008

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Rifles are never permitted in Stewart.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by rickcin View Post
    For what it is worth, the rangers will keep the hunters on one side of the fire roads and the bikers on the other.
    A little separation is good, it is pretty safe!
    I have had MTBers come right past me when I was hunting, and I have cycled past hunters when I was riding. There is no way for them to make that work overall. Too many trails and parking spots, not enough trout troopers.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast