mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Stewart Airport/ newark MTB trails directions

Hi, I am looking to go to the stewart airport trails soon because i have heard they are amazing ,one of the best in the east for trail riding and they are about 20 minutes from my house but i don't know the exact address of the trails i have googled them many times and i have never found where the entrance to the trails or parking area is. If anyone knows the exact address or directions on how to get there it will help me greatly. Also any advice on which trail to take first and what to bring for a day. Any help will be great. Thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    You can go in from Weed Rd in New Windsor, Ridge Rd or Barron Rd in Montgomery. Take your pick.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

If ya park at Weed...

...your gonna climb to get back to the car, not a bad thing, just a fact!

Be careful you don't get lost lots of trails and mileage out there. All in all, you won't be sorry great place to ride!

Do an MTBR search of the map or call Darkhorse cycles.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    weed road down past portapotty then you take the first left before huge hill for a super fast awesome ride!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    and you can really get lost i got lost last year till 1130 at night no lights, maps, gps, horrible feeling, maps here Stewards of Stewart Darkhorse sucks dont bother unless you feel like being talked down to

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    How does stewart compare to 909 ??

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Hook up with these guys who are doing trail work on 4/28 and other dates. They also do group rides.

Help them out and meet some new riding buddies:

Stewart Forest Trail Work Days 4/28/12 & More
    Michael Vitti
    CLIMB President
    www.CLIMBonline.org
    www.IMBA.com
    NY State Trails Council Member

OSCMTB
    Quote Originally Posted by BertoManfred View Post
    and you can really get lost i got lost last year till 1130 at night no lights, maps, gps, horrible feeling, maps here Stewards of Stewart Darkhorse sucks dont bother unless you feel like being talked down to

Sorry you had a bad experience there, but I disagree. I find the guys at Dark Horse to be pretty cool and helpful. They put on some great races, and even refunded me an entry fee when I dislocated my shoulder a week before the DH 40.

They have been selling pretty good maps for a couple years now. Definitely worth buying one.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Berkley View Post
    Sorry you had a bad experience there, but I disagree. I find the guys at Dark Horse to be pretty cool and helpful. They put on some great races, and even refunded me an entry fee when I dislocated my shoulder a week before the DH 40.

They have been selling pretty good maps for a couple years now. Definitely worth buying one.
    ive had more than one "bad" experience there, I waited 45 minutes for a derailleur hanger from a Darkhorse sold bike and was told to go to another Specialized dealer because he didnt want to look for the part. Im not the only one they have treated like **** either.... they have a bad rep unless youre going there to buy a full MSRP S-works you are nothing to them, Wheel n Heel , Joe Fix its, and Beacon Cycles are way better shops just based on personality alone. Stewards of Stewart has a nice printable map on their site.

'Tis but a scratch
    Quote Originally Posted by Liampac70 View Post
    Hi, I am looking to go to the stewart airport trails soon because i have heard they are amazing ,one of the best in the east for trail riding and they are about 20 minutes from my house but i don't know the exact address of the trails i have googled them many times and i have never found where the entrance to the trails or parking area is. If anyone knows the exact address or directions on how to get there it will help me greatly. Also any advice on which trail to take first and what to bring for a day. Any help will be great. Thanks
    I sent you a PM with some useful information.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    How could you get lost for so long? I understand taking a trail that is unknown and not knowing where you are but just knowing that 84 is to the north should be enough to get you out or atleast to a road that cuts through the whole park.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    There are no trails at Stewart that last for more than a couple of miles, so even at a walking speed you should be at a fire road within an hour or so tops.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Lots of hate for Dark Horse...wow. They are standup guys and help out in the local area.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by anubisRJD View Post
    Lots of hate for Dark Horse...wow. They are standup guys and help out in the local area.
    Like i said i know people have their off days i know i do, but i dont shop there because of how they treated me multiple times, their shop is awesome i wont lie, but there are better shops in the area, if they are good to you by all means, i love people that buy local so i wont tell you to avoid them, i just do.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Liampac70 View Post
    It's kinda last minute but don't miss the annual bike tour of stewart on sunday june 3. Starts at 9, it's not a race, if you want to learn the trails there ride with us, get a map, the course is marked, and be prepared for a potentially muddy but fun ride. I've done it several years and they usually run different routes year to year. You can get better info at Home - Stewart State Forest Bike Tour, for mountain bikers, presented by SPARC!.

mtbr member
    Ahh stewart...my home trails,always nice rides

Sent using pony express