mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Sterling Forest Trails Class Needs Mountain Bikers 9/22/13

Sterling Forest is just about one hour from NYC and consists of about 20,000 acres. We have cooperated with the folks from NY/NJ TC to work out a trails plan that calls for about 20-45 miles of trails open to mountain bicycles. Unfortunately we haven't found a niche of core riders here because the trails aren't marked yet.

Most of the trails exist and would just need appropriate signage to create loops. There is also an opportunity to fix a poor trail route that would make a connection to Ringwood NJ's mountain bike trails.

All this potential is missing one thing...YOU!

The NY/NJ TC are holding a multi use trails class that will test the waters and see if there is interest from the local mountain bikers to get this project rolling.

Please mark your calendars and sign up for the class to show support for the project.

The class is free and sponsored by NY/NJ TC & REI but you must sign up in advance before the 18th

Where: Sterling Forest's beautiful new visitors center on the lake
    When: Sept 22 from 9am till 3pm

Go here: Trail Layout & Design Multi Use Trails : Trail U 749 | New York-New Jersey Trail Conference

There is a maximum of 12 people but if they get an overwhelming amount of interest, it would look great for judging interest in creating mountain biking opportunities within the park.

Tell your friends and share with your local clubs.
    Last edited by sick4surf; 09-12-2013 at 07:31 PM.
    Michael Vitti
    CLIMB President
    www.CLIMBonline.org
    www.IMBA.com
    NY State Trails Council Member

mtbr member
    Hikers have been showing up to these things for years... If mtb'ers want new places to ride, we've got to attend. Come on!

mtbr member
    I would be in ( if I wasn't moving that day).....

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    If this was just a bit closer to home and there were a few more hours in a day... Good luck! This is an incredible opportunity for mountain bikers, the connection to the NJ side is huge. What a network this could be.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Thanks to everyone who showed up today. Great class full of experienced trail builders. Stay tuned as we work on the next steps with the trails council.
    Michael Vitti
    CLIMB President
    www.CLIMBonline.org
    www.IMBA.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Hi All,

I just wanted to give you an update about the mountain bike multi use trails at Sterling Forest and ask that you reply to this thread if you are still interested in volunteering for a trails project. I will start another topic as the volunteer days start up.

The folks from JORBA , CLIMB and NYNJTC had a meeting this week with the managers from Sterling Forest and came up with a couple of first projects that will start off the season. We still need final permission before beginning work but I wanted to start lining up volunteers.

There is also a project for a hiking only trail that you can help out on and get your feet wet because that project needs to be done first before we can get the supervisors to move on to overseeing the next project.

Please let me know if you are still interested and also provide info of local bike shops or outdoor recreation stores we should include for notification and support. Thanks!

Happy Trails,
    Michael Vitti
    CLIMB President
    www.CLIMBonline.org
    www.IMBA.com