Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Spier falls trails

All I can say is...WOW

That's a fun mountain. I definitely earned my downhills today on this beast. It had some great techy singletrack. Going down the yellow trail looks like it could be fun and terrifying at the same time

Nervous Descender
    We had a tough day. It was maybe our 4th ride up there. My buddy had a tooth abcess that was bothering him and his bike was acting up. Lost the map somehow- fortunately I have a good memory/sense of direction and have been there before. Definitely rode the yellow and blue trails (outer loop) in the wrong direction- probably the same way you guys did.

Yellow and blue trails were pretty brutal on a rigid SS- first time trying THAT up there and maybe the last. Not one of my better ideas. Lots of hike-a-bike where some lower gears and/or suspension would have been nice. Took us over 3 hours to ride everything. Yellow trail back to the car was interesting on a rigid bike to say the least. Major arm pump by the time I was down. Brutal. And they say Spier Falls is only "moderately technical".

SMBA is nicer, IMO, with similar technical features and better flow.

Sounds like you guys had fun.
    Check out some of our local hills: CDRC (Capital District Road Climbs)

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Glad you guys had fun up there. Its very local to my house (less than 10 miles from here), but I don't have a bike I trust enough to take offroad.

mtbr member
    I could see going down the yellow trail as being a bit....crazy!

Call me a wimp, but I would call that a step up from "moderately technical", lol. Either way, I had a lot of fun at the top, and going down the "black" trail was very fast and cool.

I've been meaning to try out the SMBA trails. Are you a member Adirondack blues?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba74
    I could see going down the yellow trail as being a bit....crazy!

Call me a wimp, but I would call that a step up from "moderately technical", lol. Either way, I had a lot of fun at the top, and going down the "black" trail was very fast and cool.

I've been meaning to try out the SMBA trails. Are you a member Adirondack blues?
    the smba trails are amazing. Definately get your membership and spend 5 days a week there. Lots of techy singletrack and it never gets boring. They maintain the trails very well too.

banned
    DO you guys have more info on this trail? I did a search and came up with a site by ADK, but not 100% sure if it's the same thing and it's not very specific at that.

Nervous Descender
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    DO you guys have more info on this trail? I did a search and came up with a site by ADK, but not 100% sure if it's the same thing and it's not very specific at that.
    Topo map, etc.

http://www.bikerag.com/images/MAPS/n...lls_review.htm

SS may not be your first choice of bikes!

banned
    nah, got a 36 pound rig, 6 front at back. That enough?

Nervous Descender
    Quote Originally Posted by wacopacco
    the smba trails are amazing. Definately get your membership and spend 5 days a week there. Lots of techy singletrack and it never gets boring. They maintain the trails very well too.
    Hey- is that a Fender Pro Junior? Those little amps really pack some great tone. At one point, I owned a Pro Junior and a Blues Junior- loved them both. Cool vid.

mtbr member
    nah, got a 36 pound rig, 6 front at back. That enough?

That's what I ride at both Smba and Spier Falls. S.P. is also known as Moreau State Park. I'll see about digging up some info for you.
    I'd hit it, but I bruise like a peach.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bpnic
    That's what I ride at both Smba and Spier Falls. S.P. is also known as Moreau State Park. I'll see about digging up some info for you.

Spier falls...not helpful for riding, just directions/park info.
    http://nysparks.state.ny.us/parks/info.asp?parkID=119

Smba...
    http://www.saratogamtb.org/

banned
    Thanks for the help. I'm wondering if this is a nice place to stay and ride for a weekend, or if it's a one day trip. If it's the former, is there any place to lodge overnight and is there civilization?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Adirondack Blues
    Hey- is that a Fender Pro Junior? Those little amps really pack some great tone. At one point, I owned a Pro Junior and a Blues Junior- loved them both. Cool vid.
    yes sir it is. I love that amp. It replaced my bassman/deluxe reverb rig that i was using for a while. This is so much lighter and the el84's give me a better tone with pedals i find. Click 'from user' i got about 30 vids just demo'ing gear and stuff. Also on google video do a search for J Mccoy and watch all his vids. The guy is a monster

Nervous Descender
    Thanks for the help. I'm wondering if this is a nice place to stay and ride for a weekend, or if it's a one day trip. If it's the former, is there any place to lodge overnight and is there civilization?
    I'd stay in Saratoga- about 15 minutes south. Ride at SMBA while you're there. Plenty of cool stuff to do, nice eateries/bars, and the track will be open soon if you like that sort of thing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Adirondack Blues
    I'd stay in Saratoga- about 15 minutes south. Ride at SMBA while you're there. Plenty of cool stuff to do, nice eateries/bars, and the track will be open soon if you like that sort of thing.

Without a doubt a weekend trip. One of the greatest places in upstate New York is Saratoga. Like AB said, you can't have a bad time downtown. Someone will show you the trails if you'd like. We're all pretty good guys. Just holla.

mtbr member
    Without a doubt a weekend trip. One of the greatest places in upstate New York is Saratoga. Like AB said, you can't have a bad time downtown. Someone will show you the trails if you'd like. We're all pretty good guys. Just holla.
    +1 tuesday nights around 6 or so are the group rides. Definately meet up. Usually theres beers after too.

mtbr member
    +1 tuesday nights around 6 or so are the group rides. Definately meet up. Usually theres beers after too.
    At Spier or the Stables?

mtbr member
    At Spier or the Stables?
    stables

I wear two thongs
    bpnic is an excellent tour guide, I would reccomend taking a ride with him. Im gonna have to check out spier falls some time, which would you ride there:

6" travel steel SS hardtail with a 32:20 gearing (this is what I ride at the stables)
    -or-
    40lb 6" front 7" rear FR bike. (have ridden it at the stables a handful of times but its a little too much bike to lug around)
    Hiking is just walking where its okay to pee... Sometimes old people go hiking by accident. -Demetri Martin-

mtbr member
    May 2007
    If you like beer and end up staying in Saratoga, don't miss The Parting Glass... but bring friends. The service is a little slow, but its exactly like it was when I went to Ireland (including the slow service). One of my favorite places to go.

Can give you a few good places to eat closer to Spier Falls, if needed. I'm not prepared to show you the great biking spots but food I can handle.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Hoefer
    bpnic is an excellent tour guide, I would reccomend taking a ride with him. Im gonna have to check out spier falls some time, which would you ride there:

6" travel steel SS hardtail with a 32:20 gearing (this is what I ride at the stables)
    -or-
    40lb 6" front 7" rear FR bike. (have ridden it at the stables a handful of times but its a little too much bike to lug around)

Thanks Eric!
    Let me know when you've got the bike up this way.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skyphix
    If you like beer and end up staying in Saratoga, don't miss The Parting Glass... but bring friends. The service is a little slow, but its exactly like it was when I went to Ireland (including the slow service). One of my favorite places to go.

Can give you a few good places to eat closer to Spier Falls, if needed. I'm not prepared to show you the great biking spots but food I can handle.
    There is an Irish place 1 mile north of exit 17n on route 9. Same side, but Just past, the Jeep dealership.

mtbr member
    stables

Is that the Elevate ride?

mtbr member
    Is that the Elevate ride?
    yea Elevate sponsors it i believe. Thats a great bike shop. They definately know there stuff there. Also check out Ricks Bike Shop in queensbury. Thats my favorite place and where i bought my enduro sl

mtbr member
    yea Elevate sponsors it i believe. Thats a great bike shop. They definately know there stuff there. Also check out Ricks Bike Shop in queensbury. Thats my favorite place and where i bought my enduro sl

Cool.
    Sounds like a nice bike.
    Last edited by bpnic; 07-16-2007 at 04:18 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast