Thread: Spier Falls

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Spier Falls - Moreau State Park

Any body know where I can get a trail or Topo map for this area??

Going to riding there over the 4th weekend and looking to get a heads-up on what I am in for.
    Last edited by Vincent; 06-29-2004 at 08:57 AM.
    Spin, Grid, Huck Repeat.

Nervous Descender
    I got a topo/trail map from Wiley at Plaines Ski and Bike in state street in Schenectady.

Be prepared for some steep climbing and many technical challenges. Bring pads or a well-stocked first aid kit.
    Check out some of our local hills: CDRC (Capital District Road Climbs)

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    You can buy a map of all the legal trails for $1.00 at the ranger office of Moreau State Park. It's a pretty good map and most of the trails on it are tough singletrack. It was mapped out by MHCC members for the park so it's fairly detailed. Most of the illegal stuff on the other side ( I think Palmertown Mountain Range) are ATV width and are OK but not as fun! There should be a few new trails in by now. I helped work on a huge chunk of singletrack this spring with the Park and I think they finished it on Nat.Trails day...

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Yah, that is what I heard. We don't have much in the way of mountains around here and the ups are what I am most concerned about. So I was wondering what the gain is like.
    We have plenty of technical single-track. That portion has me pretty fired up.
    You see my buddy who is taking me out is a sport level rider who has ridden in NORBA events from Mt. Snow to Sea Otter and I am a just a mini-Clydes who has not. So you can probably see why the interests in the elevation gain.
    Spin, Grid, Huck Repeat.

Nervous Descender
    Quote Originally Posted by Vincent
    Yah, that is what I heard. We don't have much in the way of mountains around here and the ups are what I am most concerned about. So I was wondering what the gain is like.
    We have plenty of technical single-track. That portion has me pretty fired up.
    You see my buddy who is taking me out is a sport level rider who has ridden in NORBA events from Mt. Snow to Sea Otter and I am a just a mini-Clydes who has not. So you can probably see why the interests in the elevation gain.
    Well, you will start with a 700' fireroad climb over perhaps a mile or so which is semi-technical. If you start at Moreau Park, the climb is probably 1000' or more. Either way, speaking from experience as a 200+ lb clyde, it calls for the granny in some spots and is a lung buster. Once on the ridge, there are steep ups and downs, but no sustained climbs to speak of. Some fun drops and technical sections. Also a few scary ones. The descent on the singletrack yellow trail back to the car is fun though! Have fun!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Adirondack Blues
    Well, you will start with a 700' fireroad climb over perhaps a mile or so which is semi-technical. If you start at Moreau Park, the climb is probably 1000' or more. Either way, speaking from experience as a 200+ lb clyde, it calls for the granny in some spots and is a lung buster. Once on the ridge, there are steep ups and downs, but no sustained climbs to speak of. Some fun drops and technical sections. Also a few scary ones. The descent on the singletrack yellow trail back to the car is fun though! Have fun!
    So hold it together on the climb and let the good times roll. Got it.

I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks
    Spin, Grid, Huck Repeat.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Unfortunately my buddy did not think we had enough time to do the main trail to the ridge. So we did a bunch of trails on the lower sections of the mountain. But I got a glimpse at the gain that you spoke about. I handled the short duration climbs ok but I think I would have some issues with the sustained climbs. Which is ok. It will give me a goal to shoot for. Most of the riding here is relatively flat so you do not need to train for them. Since we did not get up to where the good trails where I cannot comment on the how technical portions are. The lower sections that we rode had some tech climbing and downs but not very difficult. I heading back the end of August or Labor Day weekend and plan on being ready. Cannot wait.

Thanks for the heads up on this.

Does anyone know of any trails in Washington Co.?
    Spin, Grid, Huck Repeat.

In the Kitchen
    I don't recommend the stables trails- I road there about 6 weeks ago and it was completely demolished by logging. Although there was some riding there, most of the good stuff was ripped up and the whole area looks terrible.
    Not true. We had 3 trails that have been partially torn up by logging, but we are working to reconnect what is left of them. There is still plenty of good riding out there. Please stop by Elevate Cycles in Saratoga if you have any questions about the SMBA trails.

What people do not realize is that these trails are built and maintained by a very small group of dedicated individuals. They did not exist prior SMBA, and would not exist in any sort of ridable condition with out us. The land they are built on is leased and is not public. It costs a lot of money to lease the land and to cover the insuance involved with providing it to ride on. It is disappointing when I go riding out there (which I do 2-3 times a week) and see maybe 10 club members and 50 people who are not. Those who are not part of the solution have no right to complain about the problem. I would urge anyone who is interested in riding at the stables and opening more land for riding in the area to check out www.saratogamtb.org.
    Team Elevate Cycles - www.elevatecycles.com
    SMBA Member - www.saratogamtb.org
    Umphrey's McGee - www.umphreys.com

Nervous Descender
    Quote Originally Posted by McGRP01
    Not true. We had 3 trails that have been partially torn up by logging, but we are working to reconnect what is left of them. There is still plenty of good riding out there. Please stop by Elevate Cycles in Saratoga if you have any questions about the SMBA trails.

What people do not realize is that these trails are built and maintained by a very small group of dedicated individuals. They did not exist prior SMBA, and would not exist in any sort of ridable condition with out us. The land they are built on is leased and is not public. It costs a lot of money to lease the land and to cover the insuance involved with providing it to ride on. It is disappointing when I go riding out there (which I do 2-3 times a week) and see maybe 10 club members and 50 people who are not. Those who are not part of the solution have no right to complain about the problem. I would urge anyone who is interested in riding at the stables and opening more land for riding in the area to check out www.saratogamtb.org.
    I'm not complaining about it- I'm just stating a simple fact based on observation. I rode there once, with a friend who is a SMBA member, and I was not impressed with the general condition of the area. Sorry to dissappoint you, but I don't intend to join SMBA or return to ride there.
    Last edited by Adirondack Blues; 07-19-2004 at 05:18 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    [QUOTE=Adirondack Blues]I'm not complaining about it- I'm just stating a simple fact based on observation. I rode there once, with a friend who is a SMBA member, and I was not impressed with the general condition of the area. Sorry to dissappoint you, but I don't intend to join SMBA or return to ride there.[/QUOT

Interesting, ive seen you post 3 or 4 messages complaining about the stables trails but call me out when I mention that flat hiking/biking trail around the grafton lakes(im not talking about pittstown forest-that place is a nice little tech. trail system). The stables are the best riding locally before you get into central VT (lots of rockfaces, a few drops, rollers, some elevation gains, some bridges and a couple of stunts). (VT trails-Rasta / Camels hump/Kingdom trails). Maybe one ride doesnt really do justice to sizeing up 20-30miles(?) of hidden singletrack, but in reality the less people that ride there the better- most dont pay the membership fee anyway.

mtbr member

Ride Saturday 8/28

I was thinking about trying this place out this weekend, is there anyone else that is going to do the same that knows their way around the trail system? I am more than a little hesitant to go someplace North with Travers going on in Saratoga...
    I'll probably splurge and spend the dollar on the map at the rangers office...
    Saratoga Mountain Bike Association - www.saratogamtb.org

"Tri" sticker. Translation: "One Less Good Bike Handler."

Nervous Descender
    Quote Originally Posted by Goddy
    I was thinking about trying this place out this weekend, is there anyone else that is going to do the same that knows their way around the trail system? I am more than a little hesitant to go someplace North with Travers going on in Saratoga...
    I'll probably splurge and spend the dollar on the map at the rangers office...
    Myself and a buddy of mine might be interested- we were also thinking of going over to Grafton for a long ride- if we do, we will probably ride down into Pittstown and hit those trails, then ride back up to the park and hit some of the singletracks there- should make for a pretty long one. Let me know what you plans are and we can see about meeting up.

mtbr member

What time?

Myself and a buddy of mine might be interested- we were also thinking of going over to Grafton for a long ride- if we do, we will probably ride down into Pittstown and hit those trails, then ride back up to the park and hit some of the singletracks there- should make for a pretty long one. Let me know what you plans are and we can see about meeting up.
    I think I am in for Grafton/Pittstown if you guys are willing to let me tag along. I'm not clear on directions to there or where to meet so I would need help with that. Any idea what time you would go? I would prefer the morning...

Nervous Descender
    I think I am in for Grafton/Pittstown if you guys are willing to let me tag along. I'm not clear on directions to there or where to meet so I would need help with that. Any idea what time you would go? I would prefer the morning...
    I am thinking around 10:30-11ish at the mill pond parking lot off long pond road (just off of route 2). Long pond road is also known as the winter entrance- a left turn just past what used to be an old general store (big gray building). You go about 1/2 mile past the main entrance to the park and then take the left. The mill pond lot is the first major parking area on the right. I will post a message later tonight to confim time and the details.

mtbr member

Times..

I am thinking around 10:30-11ish at the mill pond parking lot off long pond road (just off of route 2). Long pond road is also known as the winter entrance- a left turn just past what used to be an old general store (big gray building). You go about 1/2 mile past the main entrance to the park and then take the left. The mill pond lot is the first major parking area on the right. I will post a message later tonight to confim time and the details.
    I found a friend who knows the system and we are meeting around 9:45 to ride. I'm not sure how this works with your times, but if we don't coincide so be it, I'll see you on the trails I assume. I usually wear a subaru jersey in case we cross paths.

Nervous Descender
    I found a friend who knows the system and we are meeting around 9:45 to ride. I'm not sure how this works with your times, but if we don't coincide so be it, I'll see you on the trails I assume. I usually wear a subaru jersey in case we cross paths.
    We'll be there slightly after 10:00. Mill pond.