mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Rochester NY riders?

Any other ROC riders out there?

Anyone ride in the winter?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Yes and Yes, though not as much as I'd like. Be sure to check out the Tryon Bike forums, and updates to trail conditions on GROC's website.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Im a new rider

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Re: Rochester NY riders?

New rider here also. Got out a dozen or so times last year, mainly dryer rd park.

Looking forward to the trails opening back up for the season.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    I'm in Buffalo, but I am definitely looking to get some MTB time in around Rochester this spring/summer. Don't really ride too much in the winter, but I can sometimes be swayed...

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Tryon park is great I rode there 3 or 4 times a week last summer. If you're up for a longer ride you can pretty easily ride to Bay West park from Tryon. Bay West is a lot less technical and has a lot more flow to it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    group up near batavia. why do the trails close. Is there no enough traffic to keep them clear.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    There are lots of people riding in town. Check out GROC and http://www.rochestermtb.com/

For the last few years we've had a beginner friendly group ride Friday mornings at bay West starting at 6. We ride so everyone there can keep up and sometimes split the group. From there you can find riders so are at your skill level to ride with.

I'm not sure when I'm gonna get it going this year but hopefully it will be soon. It depends on the weather and the outcome of the xray I'm waiting for right now. ...

mtbr member
    Hey great ROC thread we have here!
    I've been riding seriously for about a year now, and while I do enjoy Tryon, I prefer Dryer Road Park in Victor. Not quite as technical, but it definitely has more flow. I've yet to try Bay West or Ontario County Park, but I'm looking forward to it!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    The big ones have been mentioned, but there's also Whiting Road in Webster-mostly fields and mellow woods with a couple of rooty areas. As had been said, the GROC website (mygroc.com) and the Tryon Bike forums have links and maps. There are little areas of single track scattered throughout the county if you're willing to explore.

Not to sound like an evangelist, but for $10 join GROC or even volunteer for trail work. The more people involved the better the chances of getting more parks open for legal riding.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    We ride all year round, 3 nights a week.

Drop me a PM if you'd like to come out and have some fun.

Great group, mixed levels, no attitudes, no dropping, beer afterwards
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    NH rider creeping through this because ROC was my hometown. I thought mountain biking was not allowed in Monroe county? They probably changed that right after I moved to NH. This is good to know for my next trip home though.

You are correct, Monroe County still has it's head, firmly up it's a$$. We, as a community might as well be teenagers with skateboards.....

There is some legal riding, immediately surrounding MC, and some "trial basis" parks (thank you sir, may I have some more?) in MC.

All the great riding, and hour or less from Rochester though, is still great!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Tryon and BPW are effectively legal riding at this point. The trial period expired a while ago and basically nobody bothered to revisit if it should or shouldn't be allowed. So those the the locations that are legal in MC, and they are in very good shape these days thanks to GROC stewardship and lots of volunteer work.

Gimme free stuff
    Ooooooooo me like!!!

The ROC MTB meetup group is da best. Great people, great riders, great organizers. Im sad to say though I haven't been making it out recently but I will be tomorrow (and for many future rides)! Win!!!

Also there is this to support the GROC plug: GROC Trail Crew (Penfield, NY) - Meetup
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    P.S. The true SSer's motto: "Do it anyway."
    Misfit DiSSent 29er
    Dawes Deadeye [FOR SALE]

mtbr member
    I'll be moving there at the end of the month (August) can't wait to meet some fellow riders. I am moving from Ithaca, where there is great riding as well
    60% of the time ......it works all the time

mtbr member
    Bump. When are there group rides around the area? I'm in Farmington right next to dryer, would like to join up on some rides

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Credible View Post
    Bump. When are there group rides around the area? I'm in Farmington right next to dryer, would like to join up on some rides
    See my earlier post if you like or need night rides.....

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    rochestermtb.com as mentioned previously is a great way to find group rides. We end up riding at Dryer probably at least once a week, and it's a very mellow and welcoming group of riders.

mtbr member
    Cool, just joined the meet up site, hope to "meet up" with some riders

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I will be visiting tomorrow night through Monday morning visiting family and plan on getting a few rides in. It'd be great to ride with a local/group if at all possible, way more fun than having to look at a map every other intersection to find your way. My Fitness/technical-advanced but not racing/training.
    I'd be happy to reciprocate if anyone is visiting north of Boston, ma. sometime.

We'll be out Sunday night, shoot me a PM if you'd be interested....

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    where exactly are you staying? Mapmyride / Garmin connect / strava can all be useful for finding rides in new places. I know there is a roupr ride every Friday morning at Irondequoit Bay Park West. it starts early at 6 AM, so you might need lights at the start.