mtbr member
    May 2010

Riding near I90?

Hi all, I'm going to be heading out from Boston in a few weeks to Utica for a weekend, probably mostly following I-90. I'm hoping to get some riding in along the way, and I was wondering if anyone could recommend some good trail recommendations!

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Riding near I90?

Near Utica is Hamilton College, and New Hartford town park. But if the rain doesn't stop, they are likely to be very wet (swampy) in spots. About 15-20 minutes south of Utica is Chittening Pond on Rte 20, there is some single track there, and some off of Fairgrounds road near Brookfield.

Unfortunately, none of those places have maps. Hamilton is ~8 miles, New Hartford has probably 10ish, but the loop I ride is about 9. Chittening Pond and Brookfield both have a 10mile loop, with Brookfield being probably the biggest workout in the area, but very awesome ride.

Also Colgate University has about 6 miles of trails on top of the ski hill, but it's more like 40 min from Utica.

mtbr member
    What he said plus heading north on 28 towards Inlet, 3 trails (Bubb & Sis, Moss Lake and Cascade) than can be ridden between Eagle Bay and Inlet but that's about 1hr from I90.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Riding near I90?

When are you planning on coming? Current trail conditions are bad. We've had lots of flooding around the area, so most trails are "closed." I haven't even bothered trying a trail ride for the past week because we've had so much rain. If this keeps up, I wouldn't bother bringing your bike, there won't be anything to ride.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Thanks for the suggestions!

That's disappointing about the sloppy trails, I was planning on coming next weekend. Hopefully the trails will have dried up a little by then, is there any online resource to see what their condition is?

I heard about the trail network near Saratoga Springs as well, is the riding there worth paying the membership fee to use?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Riding near I90?

Not really. You'll be here the weekend of the 5th, or the 12th? It's supposed to rain all week, so if its this coming weekend, it probably won't dry out by then. SAMBA is very nice. I've ridden there once with a friend that has a membership.

Rider, Builder, Dreamer
    We've got 30 miles of trail in Oneonta about an hour and a half south of 90. Conditions are surprisingly good; I got out for 13 miles yesterday and had a pretty good (dry) time.