mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Pittstown State Forest Trail Day 4/29

Hi All,

We're having our first trail day of the season on Sunday 4/29 in Pittstown NY State Forest (9am - 1pm). We'll be focusing on building a new section of singletrack.

We have plenty of tools & supplies - but you can bring your own if you would like. We'll be bringing in food & drinks for before & after. Come on out for a fun day in the woods, and hang out for some food & drinks around the campfire afterwards!!

Check out the SMBA website for more info.

Thanks,
    Chris Cavanaugh
    SMBA Trail Rep - Pittstown SF

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Bump....

Our first trail day of the season is this Sunday 4/29. Looks like we'll have good weather. We have a really cool section of trail flagged out and ready to build!!

We'll be starting at 9am at the main parking lot. Hope to see you there!!

mtbr member
    that place is a swamp right now. i was there yesterday and i couldnt even ride on 50% of the jeep road on the way in.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I couldn't agree more. The jeep road is a disaster. That's why we're building a sweet single track trail to avoid riding the jeep road.

The new trail "Red Pine" is 75% complete. We'll be putting the finishing touches on it this Sunday!!

Then there will be no more "swamping" through the nasty jeep road! Instead you'll be able to jump right onto a fresh flowy single track!!

mtbr member
    I have a quick question: It was my first time there and I seemed to have missed the zig-zag trail entirely. I took the jeep road until I hit a power line clearing. Where would this "Red Pine" trail be located relative to the two? Also, where will the build be taking place as far as parking is concerned?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Yes, sounds like you missed all the good stuff!

Red Pine runs roughly parallel to the jeep road - on the right hand side. It's not finished on either end, so if you don't know where the entrance is you probably won't find it. We'll be finishing off both ends on Sunday.

Zig Zag runs perpendicular to the jeep road - on the right hand side, about a mile up the road. It's in great shape....even after all the rain earlier this week!

Parking for the trail day will be at the trailhead parking lot located here..... Pittstown S.F. parking - Google Maps

Hope to see you there!!

mtbr member
    Gonna try and make it out to give you guys a hand, just depends if the fiancée has any plans for me or not (it's my birthday weekend). Appreciate all the work you guys out in...

mtbr member
    How did the first trail day go??
    Bone Bruises Required

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    The trail day went great! Thanks to everyone who came out!

We finished the upper end of the new trail. It was a serious bench cut on a very steep section of sidehill. The trail is awesome!! Lots of exposure, great sight lines, very flowy!!

mtbr member
    So is the lower end off the jeep road visible yet?
    Bone Bruises Required

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    No, the entrance to the trail (near the parking lot) is still hidden. We're keeping it that way until we can figure out the best way to choke the entrance - to keep the moto's off it.

Come join us for our Thursday night rides (6pm) and we'll show you where it is.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by MechMan314 View Post
    So is the lower end off the jeep road visible yet?
    Just start heading up the short climb from the parking lot and look on the right for flagging tape near the top. Walk into the woods from there, you'll find the trail about 100' off the road.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cbcbike View Post
    No, the entrance to the trail (near the parking lot) is still hidden. We're keeping it that way until we can figure out the best way to choke the entrance - to keep the moto's off it.

Come join us for our Thursday night rides (6pm) and we'll show you where it is.
    Thanks for posting ride times, I go up Rt. 7 on my home from work sometimes and have been looking for different places to ride on the way.
    Clipless sucks...

mtbr member
    Is there a way to go from pittstown sf to grafton without going through thick bush, a swamp, or completely uphill? From the maps I've seen it is completely indeterminate.
    Bone Bruises Required

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Pittstown to Grafton is uphill, about 1100 feet. Only way to do it without climbing is to shuttle up Kautz Hollow. That is also the "easiest" way to climb up as well. Kautz is the 3rd and final right hand turn off the fire lane.
    ELEVATE CYCLES | FTW FACTORY RACING | ODI | NEMA | 661| AZONIC | SPY