I Fought The Lawn

Paumanok Path: 125 miles. Legends and myths disspelled; Epic trail or waste of time?

Everyone, get in here.

Let's talk a minute about Paumanok.

We seem to have "125 miles" of charted terrain that is oft mentioned in the hushed tones of club meetings and in the late hours of bar room and bike shop braggartry.

So, there have been hikers (and one runner) who have done the whole thing. I want to know, have any of us brave souls attempted this undertaking? This is definitely a multi-day outing, will the hairy-chested men (and women) of Long Island speak up about it? If we have this pristine trail network at our disposal, why arent we seeing more posts or events about it?

Is this a true undiscovered epic, of a cross-country ride that traverses every geological feature of the most densely populated island in the continental United States? Or could this be our suburban legend, of an ancient Native American roadway from time immemorial that in today's world is plagued with land-access issues and is virtually impassable?

Discuss.
    '13 Cannondale F29
    '01 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo
    '98 Manitou FS
    '97 GT Avalanche
    '97 GT LTS-1

mtbr member
    I'm not totally sure about access but have done much searching and have stumbled upon some maps and route descriptions. I have been studying this for some time and since my map reading skills are poor at best I have relied on reading the trail descriptions. Now do know that when you reach the Southhampton area is where it gets tricky. I would love to try this epic ride, and I hope to do it in the near future.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Hello Hired Wrench. I am "the runner" you mentioned above. Yes, there is a Paumanok Path, and yes, it is 125 miles long. It is a combination of dirt, wood chips, sand, gravel, and road, but is about...80% dirt. Not too rooty either. The problem with riding the Path is that there are, I think, five or six sections of the trail--that you can't "go around"--that are privately held or owned and the owners do NOT want bikes in there. To let it "be" a full (contiguous) trail, the trail groups (?) agreed to put the signs up. There are actually signs in some of these sections that mention "foot traffic only" and "no bicycles." It made it much slower to map the course out b/c we'd actually walk the bikes through there and some of these sections were a mile long as I recall. So, the short answer is that bikes can't really ride the path. And just so you know, it is believed to be on Native paths, at least in parts. It's a very nice trail, though there are ticks galore in there. If you go in there during the summer, you will be royally screwed. On one run that I did with a buddy about 5 years ago, we finished, sat down, and noticed them. We almost had a conniption. Combined, we had over 120 ticks on us. We just sat there for 10 or 15 minutes and just pulled them off one by one. We had been in the woods only 6 hours and only slowed to a walk to pee a few times. Anyway, you were right: land-access issues for bikes. Fine for feet.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I have ridden many sections of that trail over the years. Its okay, takes 2 days to do the whole thing.

Start in Rocky Point, ride to West Hampton the first day, finish the second day and take the train back to Patchouge