mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Oneonta Labor Day ride

A friend and I are looking to ride Oneonta over Labor Day. Unfortunately, I've never ridden there before, so was wondering if anyone would like to be a tour guide for us? Looking to start probably around 10ish.

OSCMTB
    If I wasn't out of commission with an injury I'd come show you guys around. Sambs27 will probably chime in here. He would be the man to show you around. There are some maps, but even those can be a little confusing.

Rider, Builder, Dreamer
    Sgtstretch, check your pm for my phone number. I'd gladly take you guys out

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Never caught up with you today Sam, but we got a good ride in, Mike, Paul, and a few other guys put together a nice ride for us. We definitely want to come down again for some more pain and gain.

Ask the guys that rode today, they'll know who I am, 6'8" and came on a Moonlander.

OSCMTB
    Glad you had a good ride. Which trails did you guys hit?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Oneonta Labor Day ride

We dropped in by the salt shed on top of the hill. Trail names that I remember are Black Coffee, Eye Poker, 3 Bridges, and Strawberry Fields. I think here were a few other trails we rode too but can't remember their names.

OSCMTB
    Right on! That's some of the best stuff up there - I helped build some of it.

Glad you had a good ride!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Hey guys, I had posted a thread about Oneonta too but saw yours now.

I may go out to visit a sister in college. Riding would be required.

Whats it like? I'm use to (and enjoy) classic xc stuff, I ride a SS, set up 32x18 now, suggestions on SS gearing?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Well, I live about an hour northwest of Oneonta, so I'm plenty used to hill climbs and long distances. What we rode left me feeling dead and broken at the end of the ride, we did just over 9 miles according to my GPS app. We climbed a total of 1354 feet.

But I was also peddling a fat bike. I was doing pretty good until the last hill. After that, I was happy to be finished. It was a fantastic ride though.

OSCMTB
    Quote Originally Posted by iceboxsteve View Post
    Hey guys, I had posted a thread about Oneonta too but saw yours now.

I may go out to visit a sister in college. Riding would be required.

Whats it like? I'm use to (and enjoy) classic xc stuff, I ride a SS, set up 32x18 now, suggestions on SS gearing?
    If you're used to that gearing it should be fine. There aren't any LONG climbs - some moderate ones but most of them are short and steep. It's mostly classic XC riding. There are some drops and stuff, but you mostly have to seek them out. Nothing gnarly is going to sneak up on you. There are a lot of rocks and roots, pretty typical New York terrain.

The perk is a lot of the trails were built BY mountain bikers FOR mountain bikers, meaning they have good lines and they're really fun to ride. The newer trails were built to be sustainable so they drain well and don't stay muddy. The only downside is that while there are some maps, most of the trails are not marked very well.

Sam posted in your other thread, I would get in touch with him and he can show you around.