mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Oneoanta MTB biking

Saw posts about this place and the new map creations. I hope it gets done this summer, I'm nearby in albany and would love to ride some of the trails I've seen on youtube.

How many miles total are we talking? Any hints on location to access these from?

Read this that was posted today
    Otsego group blazes new bicycle trails Ľ Local News Ľ The Daily Star, Oneonta, NY - otsego county news, delaware county news, oneonta news, oneonta sports

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    The Oneonta trails are great. I definitely recommend going and checking them out.
    Firm believer in Karma

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Where does one go? I cannot find any maps or anything anywhere.

thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I'm pretty sure OTSEGO BICYCLES on water street has maps. My preference is the Hartwick / job corps trails (8+ miles) . There are also some sweet trails by the high school. I'd guesstimate there's probably 25+ miles of trails in oneonta.
    Firm believer in Karma

mtbr member
    I definitely wouldn't ride the trails without going with a group. I live 35 minutes away and don't drive their to ride them by myself because I still don't know how to navigate the trails. If there are maps now that's awesome because otherwise there are no markings anywhere (at least in the late fall there wasn't) so that you could attempt to navigate your way around.
    "Like" the Brewery Ommegang facebook team page

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Team-...18356588347806

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Does anyone know where to get on the trails at Job Corps?
    I'm a local and new to mtb.....

mtbr member
    The 2 best options. Go down to the bike shop and talk with the guys at the bike shop, they ride the trails regularly and can set you up with someone to show you around

https://www.facebook.com/OtsegoBicycles?fref=ts

Or on sunday there is a group ride that meets at the college at 9am. Group usually breaks into 2 groups based on fitness. This sunday, with the rain that is going to be coming, the ride could potentially be cancelled. The locals use a listserve to send e-mails about the sunday ride and sometimes a tuesday ride. The guys at the shop can probably direct you to where to get signed up for that.

Hope that helps.
    "Like" the Brewery Ommegang facebook team page

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Team-...18356588347806

OSCMTB
    Total? If you include fire roads and such, there are 50+ miles. 25 miles is a fair estimate as far as primo singletrack. Ed at Otsego Bicycles on Water street can point you in the right direction.

Oneonta has been looking to reinvent itself for several years now. They recently started making it a destination for cycling, and the riding opportunities are only getting better.

Rider, Builder, Dreamer
    Berkley and I were riding here in Oney the other day and he mentioned this thread to me, so here goes:

I work at Otsego Bicycles as a mechanic. I also ride the trails here a lot and, along with Berkley and a couple others, have been doing the vast majority of the trail work here in town for the past 5 years. I worked with three other people this winter and spring to put together trail maps that are displayed at kiosks at the trailheads. I also have digital copies available.

OP: Send me a PM with your email address and I'll set you up with maps. Better yet: come down sometime and I'll show you around. My Sundays and Mondays are free, as are evenings after 5:30.

Nate: Stop by Otsego Bicycles sometime and we'll show you where to go. Also, a few of us are getting together on Thursdays (including tomorrow) for a late afternoon ride. We meet at 5:45 on Water Street by the Otsego Bicycles door and will be rolling by 6. Intensity and length of ride depends on who shows up, but we will definitely ride some fun stuff.

Hope this helps. Oh, and y'all can give me a text or call at (six zero seven) twozero6, 3117. Cheers!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    ^Thanks Sam. I will stop by Otsego Bicycles soon to meet up. I have another friend who I have gone on the wilber park trails with...it's a nice workout!
    The weather this past week kinda sucked, hopefully this week will be nicer!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Is the kiosk up at the Hill street trail yet? I checked a few weeks ago and couldn't find it, and I'm pretty sure the newspaper article said one was being put up there.

Rider, Builder, Dreamer
    No kiosk up at Homer Folks Forest (at the top of Hill Street) yet. Should be one soon. They ran into problems installing it because they hit bedrock and couldn't just bury the posts. Till then your best bet might be to go out with someone who knows the trails.