Thread: NY vaca tips?

tmb
    When in doubt- turn left
    Feb 2004

NY vaca tips?

Looking for help in planning a riding vaca for the wife and I.

We will be driving from the metro detroit area and have 8-10 days total. Of course, the less driving the better but if I gotta put in the seat time to get to the good stuff then I will.

We prefer camping or small mom & pop places instead of big fancy resorts. Need to have good brew pub/ pizza place/ killer coffee shop near by.

We are both solid riders(sport/elite xc) with the tech skills to come home from Moab in one piece

We will be hauling 6 bikes along(3 each)- singlespeeds, cx's, and 5" squishy/geared. So really hoping for an area that has cool dirt roads to wander, epic backcountry adventure rides, and some sweet flowy singletrack somewhere near by. You know, heaven.

One base camp for the week would be ideal, then day trips from there. But we can deal w/ one base camp move.

Lake Placid has always sounded like a cool place but a REALLY long drive.

Any and all info is welcome! We've never done a NY trip and are looking forward to seeing what it has to offer.

Thanks!!
    T

mtbr member
    Camp in Dutchess County near 84. I havent camped here yet, but its location looks great:
    Mosholu Montefiore Campgrounds (Putnam Valley, NY) - reviews, camping photos, videos, special price , interative map & directions

From there you are minutes from major N/S (Taconic Parkway) & E/W (I-84) Highways.

"909" Taconic Hereford Multi-use area =20 minutes
    Ninham Multi-use area=20 min
    Stewart State Forest=30 min
    Blue Mt Reservation=30 min
    Other ride areas too.

Breweries:
    Newburgh= 20 min
    Directions | Newburgh Brewing Company
    Elmsford=45 minutes
    Captain Lawrence Brewing Company

mtbr member
    Also a day at Minnewaska State Park for the Cyclocross bikes =45 min

mtbr member
    If you're wanting to be in the NYC area, but are base camping, Harriman State Park has camping lodges and primitive campsites. Drive times from Harriman State Park are estimated:

Blue Mountain - 15minutes from Bear Mt, 30min from Lake Welch
    Ringwood/Sheppard Lake (northern NJ) - 1hr
    Wawayanda (northern NJ)- 1.5hrs

Blue and Wawa are probably the best MTB society maintained and marked trails just outside NYC

If you're driving through PA there's also Rothrock and Moon Lake.
    Last edited by XCProphet; 07-22-2012 at 07:39 AM.

mtbr member
    Also local to Blue Mountain is the Peekskill Brewery ... can't go wrong there.

SPP
    Rigid.

tmb
    When in doubt- turn left
    Feb 2004
    Thanks for the info, guys. I'll start looking at it all.

Any Finger Lakes or upstate area tips?

mtbr member
    Albany/Saratoga area there is a lot of riding to be had. Not sure about camping, I know there is camping to be found but someone else might have a better idea on the particulars. Cooperstown is over an hour depending on where your staying but has Ommegang Brewery which is awesome, has a cafe, and a crap load of Duvel owned beers available + almost (or all) the Ommegang on stuff on tap.

As far as coffee, almost every place in the Albany area sucks, I have found one place between Albany and Saratoga that was at least drinkable. Someone will probably argue with me about this but I roast my own coffee at home, so you can trust my opinion
    "Like" the Brewery Ommegang facebook team page

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Team-...18356588347806

mtbr member
    Saratoga Springs has everything right now, including excellent trails, beer, and coffee. The downtown and horse racetrack are nice bonuses...
    I'd hit it, but I bruise like a peach.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    My vote would be Ellicottville NY. Great trail riding at the ski resort, great brewery in town and a short drive from Detroit. Take a look at WNYMBA they have a lot of info on the local riding trails in WNY. Enjoy your vacation...there is a ton of great riding in NYS.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Honestly, if your gonna travel this far east you really should look into VT. If your riding Moab, Fruita, or any of other west side of rockies MTB mecca you might be disappointed. The BarkEater trail alliance have made some leaps and bounds around Lake Placid, and with Whiteface your gonna get abit of everything. On your travels, I would considering hitting Shindagin Hallow around Ithaca though-- a nice network in a unique location.

If you do consider staying in LP you can always travel to VT and hit some good east coast riding. The drive times would be around 2 -to 2.5 one way drive times, but it's well worth it. Perry Hill in Waterbury, the trails up in Stowe, Pine Hill around Rutland, Milstone in Barre the list is endless but these trails will give you 15+ miles, have good flow, and will be more of a day thing . Checkout Fellowship of the Wheel for more info. Good Luck with the trip

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Here is an idea for a loop:
    Rochester area: Tryon Park, Dryer Road, & one other (Tryon bike in Rochester can give you advice). Each has 2-3 hours of riding. I've tried Dryer Road, which is the tamest of all - we brought our hard-tails there.

Shindagin near Ithaca has some great single-track. Here are some pics from last fall: Shindagin November 2011 Photo Gallery by j_harvey at pbase.com.

Within an hour of Albany region - SMBA is a blast (you have to be a member or go with a member) and you can ride for 4+ hours and still have plenty of trail left, Grafton Lakes, Pittstown, Yokun Ridge (in MA), Jockey Hill (Kingston). These ones are all worthy of full-squish bikes. Stewart (about 1/5 hours south) is great for single speeds. Central Park in Schenectady has a super-fun 5 mile loop that is great on single-speeds.

Post on SMBA to find people to show you around SMBA and/or on CapitalMTB - Home to find people to show you around other places in the capital region.

short timer
    Jul 2008
    The thoroughbread track is open through August in Saratoga. It's a mob scene in town. (Of course not a problem at SMBA+) If you choose the Saratoga/Albany area there are breweries in Troy ( Brown's) and Adirondack Brewery and Davidson's in Glens Falls. You're also close enough to Rutland and Pittsfield Vt to hit up Pinehill and Green Mtn Trails. If you want foo foo coffee go to Stewarts, get the dark roast and add some flavored creamer....

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I forgot to mention that if you like beer and are in Albany, try Mahar's: Beers on draft March 5th, 2012 | Mahar's Public Bar. They are not a brewery, but they have a huge on-tap selection of beer. Uncommon Grounds is a local coffee shop to check out.

For camping, Thompson's Lake State Park is very close to Thacher Park which has fun mountain biking single-track in the Northern section. Our typical loops there are about 12 miles. Moreau State Park is about 1 hour north of Albany and is close to SMBA. There is some great technical mountain biking at Moreau that start with a 800 foot or so climb. Typical rides there take at least 3 hours or more.

There's pictures of some of the places I mentioned here: Summer 2012 Riding Photo Gallery by j_harvey at pbase.com and some more here: Spring 2012 Riding Photo Gallery by j_harvey at pbase.com. Here's a gallery of pictures from Moreau State Park (aka Spier Falls): Spier Falls 7-11-11 Photo Gallery by j_harvey at pbase.com and pictures of Shindagin: Shindagin November 2011 Photo Gallery by j_harvey at pbase.com and pictures of Schenectady Central Park: HRRT Easter Race 2012 Photo Gallery by j_harvey at pbase.com.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowPokePete View Post
    Also local to Blue Mountain is the Peekskill Brewery ... can't go wrong there.

SPP
    and the Peekskill Coffee House, too.

SPP
    Rigid.

mtbr member
    Wilmington, N.Y. (8 miles from Lake Placid) has approx. 5 days worth of just x-c riding now. Yes, there are dirt roads too, but 5 days of newer single-track! You also have the option to rent a dh bike and check out the dh at Whiteface.

Small town atmosphere, don't have to lock your cars or doors, coffee shops and 2 micro breweries (micro breweries are in LP).

Links for x-c: Home | Barkeater Trails Alliance Best Adirondack Mountain Bike Trails Whiteface Region

Link for dh: Whiteface Mountain Bike Park - Home
    Downhill Mike
    Whiteface Mountain Bike Park
    www.downhillmike.com
    Open 7 days a week!

tmb
    When in doubt- turn left
    Feb 2004
    Tons of great info! Thanks everyone! Time to get out the maps and start bookmarking website. I can feel my work productivity dropping

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by buSSalo View Post
    My vote would be Ellicottville NY. Great trail riding at the ski resort, great brewery in town and a short drive from Detroit. Take a look at WNYMBA they have a lot of info on the local riding trails in WNY. Enjoy your vacation...there is a ton of great riding in NYS.
    +1. Was there last week and the trails offer you lots of miles and skill level options. I would get a copy of the map from the local bike shop.

mtbr member
    I agree with the LP location. I have not rode there, but there are tons of other activities if you want to get off the bike, hiking, kayak/canoeing, stuff like that. VT is pretty close depending on where you decide to set up camp and you can not go wrong with the lake Placid brew pub. I have visited almost every brewery/brewpub between Albany and Rochester north and south from Canada to PA and Lake Placid is in my top 2 or 3 for quality and atmosphere.
    Trek Fuel EX 6
    Cannondale F5
    Felt Z100

My photos