mtbr member
    May 2008

NY State Purchases SMBA Land

The Governor's office announced yesterday that the long awaited sale of the former Finch Pruyn lands was completed. These include the SMBA leased lands at Daniels road.

New York State Aquires 69,000 Acres From Conservancy | The Adirondack Almanack

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSam View Post
    The Governor's office announced yesterday that the long awaited sale of the former Finch Pruyn lands was completed. These include the SMBA leased lands at Daniels road.

New York State Aquires 69,000 Acres From Conservancy | The Adirondack Almanack
    It specifically mentions the Daniel's Road Tract, which is the land we lease. However I havn't been able to confirm that the land SMBA leases is involved in this deal. I'll be reaching out to the folks in DEC I've been talking with to get more details.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    The Governor's press release includes the paragraph below. The proposed Palmertown Range Trail goes right through the property the club leases. Sounds like the land transaction will be phased in over the next 5 years.

Southern Tracts: These four tracts in Northern Saratoga and Fulton counties have been identified by local municipalities as having high recreational value for their communities. The Thousand Acre Swamp Tract in Edinburgh provides habitat for moose and a host of other wildlife, and will provide an important snowmobile connector trail linking the area to the popular Mulleyville snowmobile trail system. Proposed multiple-use trails on the Pennyork Lumber Tract and Daniels Road Tract, both in Greenfield, will help Saratoga County complete the proposed Palmertown Range Trail and connect Moreau Lake State Park with Saratoga State Park. The 3,800-acre Benson Road Tract in Mayfield will provide opportunities for two snowmobile connector trails, fishing access to Stony Creek and a network of non-motorized multiple-use trails.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I received confirmation from our contact at TNC that the SMBA land is part of this transaction. Timing is still an unknown, it could take up to 5yrs to complete the transaction.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Does this amount to increased opportunities or ...?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    Does this amount to increased opportunities or ...?
    It means the land that the SMBA trails are on would become a state forest, and not privately owned anymore. It means that the trails are going to be there for a long, long time. It means that there would no longer be the threat of a housing development being built on our trails. It also means we (SMBA) wouldn't need to lease the land to keep the trails open, and the trails would be open to the public!

IMO, this is a huge win for the local mountain bike community. The past few years of SMBA lobbying DEC and local officals is starting to pay off.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jmitchell13 View Post
    It means the land that the SMBA trails are on would become a state forest, and not privately owned anymore. It means that the trails are going to be there for a long, long time. It means that there would no longer be the threat of a housing development being built on our trails. It also means we (SMBA) wouldn't need to lease the land to keep the trails open, and the trails would be open to the public!

IMO, this is a huge win for the local mountain bike community. The past few years of SMBA lobbying DEC and local officals is starting to pay off.
    That's great, I was wondering if it could mean the state would decide to stop/limit mtn biking there, prevent any further development or maintaining of trails, and basically push the club out of the picture. That's great if they view smba as an asset. The state needs to start acting more like VT when it comes to marketing it's land.
    "Like" the Brewery Ommegang facebook team page

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Team-...18356588347806

Beer swillin' rabble ridr
    Aug 2008
    I sure hope so.. NYS can certainly screw things up sometimes.
    Drink beer all day

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by qdawgg View Post
    That's great, I was wondering if it could mean the state would decide to stop/limit mtn biking there, prevent any further development or maintaining of trails, and basically push the club out of the picture. That's great if they view smba as an asset. The state needs to start acting more like VT when it comes to marketing it's land.
    Mountain biking is one of the main reasons why the parcel is a priority for DEC. The recreational opportunities so close to Saratoga Springs coupled with the fact that there is an exsisiting user base with an active orgainization for trail stewardship really helped.

I believe DEC has turned the corner regarding mountain biking. Certainly within state forests it is viewed as a positive activity.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jmitchell13 View Post
    Mountain biking is one of the main reasons why the parcel is a priority for DEC. The recreational opportunities so close to Saratoga Springs coupled with the fact that there is an exsisiting user base with an active orgainization for trail stewardship really helped.

I believe DEC has turned the corner regarding mountain biking. Certainly within state forests it is viewed as a positive activity.
    Sounds good.

Do you know if MTBing is allowed on all "state forest" land?

I was riding in Columbia County (on my roadie) and wondered up dirt roads which put me into a state forest that looked like it could have good MTB potential but I didn't see any evidence or tire tracks except my 25mm gatorskins.
    I remember hearing something like "wilderness"= no MTB/ "state forest"= yes MTB but not sure if that's correct.

mtbr member
    SMBA's been great proponents of our sport for so long...I remember hearing you on NPR about 10 years ago

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico2000 View Post
    Sounds good.

Do you know if MTBing is allowed on all "state forest" land?

I was riding in Columbia County (on my roadie) and wondered up dirt roads which put me into a state forest that looked like it could have good MTB potential but I didn't see any evidence or tire tracks except my 25mm gatorskins.
    I remember hearing something like "wilderness"= no MTB/ "state forest"= yes MTB but not sure if that's correct.
    Quoted directly from page 204 of DEC's Strategic Plan for State Forest Managment:
    Mountain bikes are permitted to travel on any existing road or trail on State Forests unless the road or trail is posted as closed for this use.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    What is the timeframe to build the palmer trail??...connecting Moreau SP (Spier Falls) to the Daniel Rd Trails would be, well, Epic, to say the least.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    As JMitchell13 noted above, the announcement was for an agreement between NYS and TNC to purchase the various former Finch Pruyn parcels over the course of 5 years. My understanding is that the parcels up by the Hudson Gorge are in the first round.

On a related note, State Parks just closed on a 60-acre parcel between Moreau Lake and Mt McGregor that will be added to Moreau Lake State Park. If anyone's interested in trail building, we are too. Could be a minor complication this fall, though, with Nat Grid working on the Spier Falls powerlines.