Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Noob in Brooklyn USA, looking for riding partner(s)

Out of shape, new rider, looking for riding partner(s). I am 47, overweight but determined. If you are riding around brooklyn or going someplace interesting, please let me know. I may be slow at first, but I don't give up. Just picked up a 26 raven focus and ready to ride.

o<o NYC pebble jumper!
    Hey, not out in Brooklyn but in Queens. What type of riding are you looking to do?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I just moved into NYC, I really want to check out Highbridge park. It's supposed to be great.

turtles make me hot
    My friends in Queens swear by Cunningham. I've not yet been there, but they like it.
    I like turtles

o<o NYC pebble jumper!
    I was actually planning on going there today as it isn't too far off from where I live (45m ride/7m drive) but just didn't pan out. I'll try another weekend.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TORQUE-29er View Post
    Excellent, Thanks just signed up.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    check this out too: WMBA

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by sburck View Post
    I just moved into NYC, I really want to check out Highbridge park. It's supposed to be great.
    aside from the pump track/dirt jumps, highbridge sucks in my opinion. yeah it's cool that there is some legit Mtb trails in manhattan but they are cut on a ridge that is ridiculously steep to go up them and it's not in the greatest of neighborhood so it's littered with all sorts of ****. I have a pic of my a hypodermic needle that I ran over and found sticking out of my tire. another benefit of tubeless tires I guess!

cunningham is much better and metro north to Sprain Ridge in yonkers or graham hills in pleasantville is more worthwhile

mtbr member
    May wanna try forest park. Its not a technical single track like Cunningham , it actually merges single track /horse path/hiking paths. But its alot of fun and half the distance. Definitely a nice change of pace.

mtbr member

Noob in Brooklyn USA, looking for riding partner(s)

I run my old mtb around Central Park. It's def not single track but Harlem hill kicks my but. 1 lap is 6 miles.

mtbr member
    Hempstead Lake State Park in Rockville Centre / Hempstead is just minutes from the Belt Pkwy and is a great place for a beginner to start on easy trails...stay south of the Southern Pkwy to start and later advance to the north side (Hempstead side) when your a little more experienced

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    If you ever get a chance to make a day trip to Stewart State Forest in Newburgh, its got miles of singletrack, and nothing terribly challenging.
    2009 Gary Fisher HiFi
    riding time is split between central NH and Hudson Valley, NY

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Best variety and closest for me is Cunningham. It's small, but fun for a few hours.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    +1 on Cunningham. Went there for the first time last week and it's AWESOME
    Cannondale Trail 7 - Giro Indicator - Shimano SH-XC30 - Shimano PD-M520 - SH51

o<o NYC pebble jumper!
    Has anyone ever ridden the back trails in Kissena Park? I passed by and seen some areas that look that they are ridden, but I wasn't on my mtb to check it out.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Not too sure on Kissena. They do have the velodrome there and looking at the satellite view it might have some very simple routes for biking.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    cunninham is right down the street from Kissena so if Kissena sucks, just go over to Cunningham

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Kissena is not worth going right now. I usually ride there on my way to cunningham, and it is a nice dirt road. Not more than a couple of miles at the most. Recently they covered the road with small wood pieces (esl here, don't know the name) which are not safe for your derailers and wheels.
    Depending where you live, there are a lot of parks in Brooklyn and if you are reasonable wont get into any trouble.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    The word is mulch. They have one trail in Forest Park with it and it's a PAIN to bike on.

mtbr member

Re: Noob in Brooklyn USA, looking for riding partner(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Solidjake View Post
    The word is mulch. They have one trail in Forest Park with it and it's a PAIN to bike on.
    Lol pretty sure that part of forest park is meant for horses. You sink like 2 inches in that stuff on bike.

warrior
    Take the LIRR (train) on a Saturday from Atlantic Terminal to Syosset (assuming you don't have a car). It's a two mile road ride from the train station to Stillwell Park. Part of the Greenbelt trail system. The park itself has lots of different terrain types from very easy to pretty difficult. Great place to start easy and work up to the hard stuff.

Steve
    Jun 2013
    LIRR to Deer Park also will put you by Edgewood. Trail head is about 2 miles from train station. Great for noobs, 5.8 miles...ooh, and if there is a Mrs., take her along, the outlets are just a mile away as well. Great excuse to get out biking.
    Last edited by Spartacus2112; 08-14-2013 at 08:41 PM. Reason: update
    2013 Cannondale Trail SL 29er 2

So many decisions, a million revisions caught between darkness and light.

warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus2112 View Post
    LIRR to Deer Park also will put you by Edgewood. Trail head is about 2 miles from train station. Great for noobs, 5.8 miles.
    Also true. To that end, you can take the LIRR to Massapequa and jump in on the south end of Greenbelt. The lower part is easy. Pretty sure you could take the LIRR to Rocky Point, although I am not sure how far the trails are from the train station.

mtbr member

Re: Noob in Brooklyn USA, looking for riding partner(s)

Any issues having a bike on the LIRR?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast