View Poll Results: Night Riding on Long Island?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • I already do it

7 77.78%
  • Interested

2 22.22%
  • Not Interested

0 0%

Thread: Night Riding LI

is red

Night Riding LI

Hey all, I'm setting up this poll on night riding Long Island to see if anyone does or is interested in starting. I've been considering it but I don't think I'd go it alone.
    2012 Trek/GF Cobia
    + Shimano PD-M530

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Go for it! Definitely worth it and definitely fun. I was a bit apprehensive about riding alone at night (and I'm sure it's not exactly the wisest thing to do), but once I got out there it was therapeutic. I'm big into camping as well so I love being in the words after dark. It's very calm and super relaxing if you're into that kind of thing. If not, check out the climb board and I'm sure you'll find some groups that are riding at night. I know there was a regular night ride at Glacier Ridge last winter.

29er
    Apr 2010
    there is a weekly friday night right at cunningham
    i usually attend

is red
    Quote Originally Posted by Pike14 View Post
    Go for it! Definitely worth it and definitely fun. I was a bit apprehensive about riding alone at night (and I'm sure it's not exactly the wisest thing to do), but once I got out there it was therapeutic. I'm big into camping as well so I love being in the words after dark. It's very calm and super relaxing if you're into that kind of thing. If not, check out the climb board and I'm sure you'll find some groups that are riding at night. I know there was a regular night ride at Glacier Ridge last winter.
    Thanks! I'm not sure if I want to go alone although it does sound relaxing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan GSR View Post
    there is a weekly friday night right at cunningham
    i usually attend
    Sounds good, now I just need to get some lights
    2012 Trek/GF Cobia
    + Shimano PD-M530

29er
    Apr 2010
    magicshine !!

Rogue Exterminator
    Definitely fun but not my preferred method of riding.

If riding trails especially single track, I recommend 2 lights around 1000 lumens each (of course, the brighter the better).
    Put one on the bike and one on your helmet.
    The one on my bike is a wide angle and the one on the helmet is a spot.

If you can not afford 2 make sure you take a spare flashlight with you especially if you ride alone. At least then you can walk back to the car if your light fails.

turtles make me hot
    I started night riding alone two years ago. My riding buddy works 4-12 so either I ride alone or after he gets home, but that doesn't work so well because I have to be up at 5:30 to go to work.
    It's not so bad alone. We don't have mountain lions or bears on Long Island. I kinda worry about dogs but haven't dealt with one yet.
    My regular night ride is Trailview since it's narrow and has a few crossings, in case I get hurt I can tell someone where I am. Stillwell is cool at night and Glacier is downright awesome. The deer at Glacier are kinda creepy in the dark when they stand there and stare at you.
    I like turtles