mtbr member
    Jul 2008

New York State Trail Conditions Thread

So with winter trying to linger, and spring getting off to a stumbling start, where are there currently riding opportunities within the state?

I rode Taconic 909 last weekend and that was prime, SMBA is off to a slow start. Blue mountain sounds like its a go. How about trails out to the west...shindagin, ellicottville, Syracuse region, etc?

I'm hoping to ride ellicottville April 12th but not sure if that should be considered feasible. Check in about your local trails!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    rode at Blue Mountain today, did MYX Monster and My Favorite Trail. a little windy but not too bad. conditions were great, wicked dry trails and no bugs.New York State Trail Conditions Thread-fot359c.jpg
    2009 Gary Fisher HiFi
    riding time is split between central NH and Hudson Valley, NY

Rider, Builder, Dreamer
    I'd hold back on Ellicottville unless you're going to be out that way anyway. They were getting quite a bit of lake effect later in the winter and if they are all melted out it's going to be pretty sloppy. If you do head that way, stop in at Ellicottville Bike and Bean.

Things are drying up in Oneonta. Should be able to get in a few hours of digging this week and riding this weekend. We're finishing a quick little XC-oriented jump line on a new trail that should be done within the next few days.

mtbr member
    Rode at Chenango Valley State park in Binghamton yesterday. Trails were dry and fast, no ice or residual snow. Looks like spring has finally arrived!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    SMBA trails are riding stellar for this early in the season! Moreau is probably a little sloppy being at higher elevation and some significant grade.

I am visiting friends in scio this weekend, about an hour east of ellicottville. We were hoping on a Friday afternoon ride but would rather not battle the slop if those are the current conditions. Are there any other trails in that area worth riding?

PHS
    Rider
    Sep 2009
    All trails in WNY especially including Ellicottville are not ready to ride yet. The Southern Tier rcvd plenty of snow in late winter.

mtbr member
    You guys suck Still snow on the trails where I live between Albany and Oneonta. Once the snow melts it will still be a wet/muddy mess for at least a few weeks and that might be wishful thinking.
    "Like" the Brewery Ommegang facebook team page

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Team-...18356588347806

Rider, Builder, Dreamer
    Quote Originally Posted by qdawgg View Post
    You guys suck Still snow on the trails where I live between Albany and Oneonta. Once the snow melts it will still be a wet/muddy mess for at least a few weeks and that might be wishful thinking.
    Come down for the Sunday morning ride this weekend. 9 AM on the SUNY Oneonta campus, across from the Alumni Field House. Should have a decent crew out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sambs827 View Post
    Come down for the Sunday morning ride this weekend. 9 AM on the SUNY Oneonta campus, across from the Alumni Field House. Should have a decent crew out.
    I've ridden with you guys before, I come over with Jud when I've made the rides. I usually do a big road ride with lots of climbing on saturday and don't want to look like a p*ss showing up on sundays and not being able keep up. I will make it over though, how will the trails look on sunday with all this rain we're getting and going to get the next couple days?
    "Like" the Brewery Ommegang facebook team page

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Team-...18356588347806

Rider, Builder, Dreamer
    Quote Originally Posted by qdawgg View Post
    I've ridden with you guys before, I come over with Jud when I've made the rides. I usually do a big road ride with lots of climbing on saturday and don't want to look like a p*ss showing up on sundays and not being able keep up. I will make it over though, how will the trails look on sunday with all this rain we're getting and going to get the next couple days?

should be pretty good on Sunday. we just got out yesterday and dug some new trail and took care of some ruts here and there. Almost everything got raked before the frost hit so water retention isn't much of an issue in most spots.