mtbr member

New Englaner's Impression of Ellicottville

You guys from Western NY probably already know how special Ellicottville is but I was thoroughly impressed. Great flow going on up there. I can't wait to go back.

My only complaint had to do with the descent back to the training center. The trails were lacking considering what I experienced up high.

How do you locals usually ride those trails? Do you even bother approaching from that side? Are there better descents back down? (i.e. where do you start?)

Nor'Easter Backcountry: Ellicottville: A Little Magic In Western New York

Rider, Builder, Dreamer
    sweet writeup! I'm posting in the comments there a description of the loop I have done a few times with my brother, who lived there with his wife for a few years. They still have their store there (The Purple Doorknob) on Monroe, but have moved out to Washington State.

E-ville is definitely an awesome place to ride and hang out for a weekend. I always steer people that way if they're trying to bike in the western part of the state.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the comments Sambs. I can't wait to check out the descent on Eagle as well as the techy stuff on the other ridge.

Where do you ride in Oneonta?

Rider, Builder, Dreamer
    We have 40 miles of trails surrounding Oneonta, all within riding distance of downtown. Several trail systems can be linked into one big 30+ mile ride with minimal road, repeating, or mud.

Links:

Trail Guide:
    http://www.thisiscooperstown.com/fil...TrailGuide.pdf

Individual trail maps:
    Cooperstown & Oneonta Mountain Biking | Cooperstown, NY Official Site

Feel free to drop me a line if you're ever in the area; I'd gladly show you and/or anyone else around. Great road riding around here as well. Also, check out Oneonta Bicycling Enthusiasts on Facebook.

PHS
    Rider
    Sep 2009
    WNYMBA
    You can also find some good info on the Western New York Mountain Bike Association site.
    I enjoy riding up from the training center because I can warm up on the two mile climb to single track. This way will also take you to Eagle to enjoy down and the climb back up, with the Mesa trail at the top to continue on with many more miles of single track.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sambs827 View Post
    Feel free to drop me a line if you're ever in the area; I'd gladly show you and/or anyone else around. Great road riding around here as well. Also, check out Oneonta Bicycling Enthusiasts on Facebook.
    Thanks sambs. I'll be sure to look you up if I'm in the area. I make that trip to Cooperstown every once in a while.

PHS- Thanks for the link. I actually used that site to find some other stuff around my in-laws. Which trail do you use to descend back to the training center?

mtbr member
    The past few times I've just driven up Mutton Hollow and parked behind the large antenna tower. Lazy yes but it gets you onto the FLT so much quicker.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheepo5669 View Post
    The wheelsize argument is not a "hydraulic vs cable brake" argument, its a "formula vs shimano brake" argument.