Thread: New to Dutchess

mtbr member
    May 2013

... and if we just ... New to Dutchess

Hello all, just moved from NJ to Dutchess County looking for for some pointers for where a beginner should ride and if any one knows any groups I could join up with.

bike shop recommendations would be great to!

thanks!

mtbr member
    Welcome...Here's 2 levels of beginner rides:
    View topic - EZ Rider / New Riders all levels are welcome!! - Fats in the Cats

You wont be dropped and they'll show you many of the local trails.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Thanks!,

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Hey man, welcome! There are tons of spots to go around here, but for the most diverse selection and sheer volume of trails I'd definitely recommend Stewart State Forest just off Exit 5A from I-84. If you are coming from Dutchess that would be about 10 minutes past the Newburgh-Beacon Bridge. There are fire roads, wide beginner type trails and some amazing single track and technical trails. You can ride this place for an entire day and not scratch the surface.

Check out this link for a group ride/tour that is going on June 2 put on by SPARC.
    Home - Stewart State Forest Bike Tour, for mountain bikers, presented by SPARC!

Although I know the park decently well, I will probably attend just to meet new people and learn something new.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    That place looks like a blast!! Going to have to check it out, thanks for the info. The Tour sounds fun I must sign up!

Thanks again

mtbr member
    The sparc tour is an excellent introduction to stewart. I've been riding there for a dozen years now and sometimes the sparc tours take me on a trail I never knew existed or on old ones I'd forgotten about. At over 5000 acres of a vast spiderweb of trails you'll want to ride with a group, or bring a map or gps.