All Lefty's, all the time Moderator

Need beta on eastern Long Island beach riding

Anyone?

Looking to do a few days of camping from my Pugsley, running the beach, sleeping in the dunes, etc.

Figure cover 75 to 100 miles over a long weekend sort of thing. Leave a car at each end to shuttle, something like that.

I have never been there, but GoogleEarth shows me a lot of contiguous beach to work with.

No idea on the lay of the land, private beaches, fences, getting shot at by private security militia in the Hamptons, etc etc etc.

I just want to ride the beach for a few days, camp with a few pals, and see as little humanity as possible. I know, I'll see some, but if there's a good suggestion, places to avoid, etc, I'd appreciate the input.

I hear the Sound side is less populated and more relaxed? No idea.....
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    If you dont mind riding a little road...we could link a sick ride together.

Ah, thank you....

A little road, sure, that's okay. You thinking it's possible to spend the majority of a two or three days off road, on the beaches though? Camping without the hassle of permits, payments, and campgrounds?

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Send a message to sick4surf...He know that area really well. He could point you in the right direction. Let us know when your planning this...there are a handfull of us on the western part of the Island that may be interested in joing you for some of your adventure.

Okay, chatted with Nobby, thanks Kevin =

So now I have some sort of direction. Sounds like I could have fun around the end of LI, a state park is there, multiple riding possibilities from a central camp site. Cool, good stuff.

That said, he also mentioned Fire Island. Which I guess is 30 ish miles long, open for camping, etc.

I haven't ever done beach riding, camping etc. Chatting with a pal, sounds like sand gets everywhere, and isn't all romance and happiness.

So, this might be a better alternative to get our collective feet wet. Probably 3 or 4 of us are interested.

Thoughts on Fire Island? I'll hit up the Fatbike forum for more specific questions....

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com