Born Annoyed

Mtb trails around Lake George area.

Hopefully someone out there can help me with some trail info around the Lake George area, even up to an hour away. What ya got up there? I'll be up on weekends until June.
    It's ALWAYS funny when it happens to somebody else
    Lookie at what I found- http://www.f88me.com check it out, now

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Moreau Lake State Park

Saratoga Mountain Bike Association Trails, A membership is needed to ride here, or try to hook up with a member here or on the SMBA forum.

You can also try Prospect Mountain, and the Shelving Rock area on the east shore of Lake George. Both are hiking trails and not very good for biking...

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    What he said - took a mini trip up there two summers ago, and both spots were excellent. Moreau and SMBA, that is.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

Born Annoyed
    Thanks, guys. I'll check out the SMBA.
    Whasts the deal with riding in the ADK park? I live an hour from the city and can manage to string together a hundred with minimal roads. Figure you'd ride for years in the park.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Panhead View Post
    Thanks, guys. I'll check out the SMBA.
    Whasts the deal with riding in the ADK park? I live an hour from the city and can manage to string together a hundred with minimal roads. Figure you'd ride for years in the park.
    You "could" ride for years in the park, but the "deal" is the Adirondack Mountain Club (ADK). They essentially have the park on lock down for anything that isn't hiking. They have more numbers, and a longer presence than any cycling club so don't expect that to change anytime soon. To appease the cycling community a few years ago, they produced a Xerox printed, plastic combined, collection of "mountain biking trails". Do not buy this piece of garbage if you see it in a store. It's a collection of bombed out, abandoned mining and logging roads in the middle of nowhere with no redeeming qualities.

Your options are (listed from best to least best (in my opinion):
    SMBA Trails (30 min south)
    Pine Hill Trails in Rutland VT (1 hour East)
    Moreau (20 min south)

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    There is also the Pine Bush in Albany, Grafton Lakes State Park, and Chery Plain State Park and Wildlife Preserve/State Forest in the Albany area/ Rensselaer County. I have hiked the Pine Bush with the kids and it seems like a good place to ride in and is allowed. Have yet to be to the other 2 state parks, but have people I know that have been there and say it is great.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    The "deal with the park" is that it all depends on the land classification and specific trail closures. NY State Wild Forest Areas in the park are generally open to bikes. NY State Wilderness Areas within the park are strictly off limits to bikes. The lands around Lake George are all classified as Wild Forest, but many of the summits are off limits. These are posted with "No Bikes" at the trailhead (unless someone removed the sign). I have enjoyed riding and hiking the trails around Lake George for many years. I'll admit, it is a bit of an acquired taste. The single track is quite limited, but there are many miles of trails to explore, several ponds, some views, and many, many confusing trail intersections. I can't recommend any really good maps of the area. I find my way around with the Barbra McMartin hiking guide and getting lost a few times. I prefer the east side between Hogtown and Shelving Rock. Be prepared for mud, climbs, difficult to follow trails, and potentially a long time out. Lots of fun! SMBA and Moreau are also both great choices.

Born Annoyed
    Cool, thanks guys. Guess I'll be humping the SS on the road. I've heard about the ADK hiker people, don' t really care for them.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I am planning on getting out to Grafton Lakes in the next couple of weeks, and all their trails are open to bikes. There are something around 12 miles of trails ranging from single track to fire roads.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Other than the above mentioned (SMBA, Pine Hill, Moreau), download the DEC Mountain Bike Trail map (Google Earth version) here:

Google Maps and Earth - NYS Dept. of Environmental Conservation

It's a collection of hiking trails, snowmobile trails, and old roads, and it's hit or miss, but at least it's good for some adventure. I rode the Northwest Bay Trail a few weeks ago and it was a really fun out and back.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Thanks, I will have to do just that... Sounds like a great resource.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSam View Post
    The "deal with the park" is that it all depends on the land classification and specific trail closures. NY State Wild Forest Areas in the park are generally open to bikes. NY State Wilderness Areas within the park are strictly off limits to bikes. The lands around Lake George are all classified as Wild Forest, but many of the summits are off limits. These are posted with "No Bikes" at the trailhead (unless someone removed the sign). I have enjoyed riding and hiking the trails around Lake George for many years. I'll admit, it is a bit of an acquired taste. The single track is quite limited, but there are many miles of trails to explore, several ponds, some views, and many, many confusing trail intersections. I can't recommend any really good maps of the area. I find my way around with the Barbra McMartin hiking guide and getting lost a few times. I prefer the east side between Hogtown and Shelving Rock. Be prepared for mud, climbs, difficult to follow trails, and potentially a long time out. Lots of fun! SMBA and Moreau are also both great choices.
    Hate to revive the thread but have you ridden near shelving rock recently? I have one day of free upstate adventure(9/28) and was wondering what the trail conditions are like(besides cold and muddy). Specifically the pond trails, due to time again, damn NYC living eating into my biking.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Another apology for thread resurrection.

I have hiked many of those trails, though I have not evaluated them for MTB. I did find this writeup of a circuit.

East Shore Mountain Bike Ride - Lake George | EveryTrail

I have also read that the trail on the west side of Tongue mountain is good for MTB.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014

Biking in Adirondacks

I lived in the adirondacks. The hiking trails and snow mobile trails were generally not great trails to ride on. No one to maintain trails for biking and hiking trails go up mountains and snowmobile trials go through swamps. Best places to ride near Adirondack park Flume trials; Wilmington next to Whiteface Inlet - Bub and sis pond, fern park ; Old Forge many trails Garnett Hill: North River Saratoga SMBA , Moreau state park off of Speir falls rd Tongue mountain South bay trail, Shelving Rock Bay area, Big Hollow rd/trail up prospect mountain (Lake George) Watershed near Queensbury NY ; Halfway Brook reservoir, Butler pond, butler storage reservoir pond (Indian Lake) John's Pond, Area behind old dump and Adirondack Lake, next to Cedar river Miles of Finch and Pruyn logging roads are about to open up between Indian Lake, Blue Mountain Lake, and Newcomb, then we'll ride forever on dirt roads. New York state is buying that land and the land SMBA trails are on. Advocate for mountain bike use if you live near by. (LongLake) Sargent Ponds - Tioga Point

mtbr member
    I recently was at Lake George and this thread was helpful for me in figuring out the local riding options, so I'll try and add a little for the next reader.

The only place I rode was Moreau. Trails were in very good shape, bravo to the folks who've been building and maintaining. The trails are blazed well and many intersections are numbered, but without someone leading or a good map it'd be confusing. It costs $8 to drive into the park, but you can park outside, on the north end of the park off Spiers Falls Rd. Best bet seemed to be to drive all the way to the top of the hill to park if you want to reduce climbing pain a bit.

IMO Moreau is an expert-level trail. Sharp, techy climbs, one after another, and DH-steep descents. Rocks out the wazoo. Almost zero flow. Hard, but fun.

If you're there with non-riders, the park is very family friendly -- lake, beach, big playground, picnic area. Fun for all.