I wear two thongs

Luther Forest - Malta

I've heard a little here and there about the luther forest trails but nothing about what kind of riding it is. I'm thinking of going up and checking the place out in the next few days and was wondering what to expect. Is it mostly singletrack? Doubletrack? Technical or fast and flowy? How big of a loop can I make out of it? Also is it well marked or is there a map available?
    Thanks in advance for any help!

-Eric
    Hiking is just walking where its okay to pee... Sometimes old people go hiking by accident. -Demetri Martin-

mtbr member
    Hey dude,

I've ridden there a couple of times. Very fun and fast. It's all single. I would describe it as the cemetery loop on steroids. I would suggest you go with someone because the trails can be kinda confusing.

I wear two thongs
    Well I guess the obvious solution is we need to link up for a ride there some time!
    Hiking is just walking where its okay to pee... Sometimes old people go hiking by accident. -Demetri Martin-

mtbr member
    Definitely! We can both get lost

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    As bubba said, the trails are fast and flowy. There isn't a ton of miles, you'll be able to hit everything in under an hour. They also stay super dry, it's my go-to place when everything else is wet.

Here is some more info and a link to a map that Javier made: http://www.saratogamtb.org/forum/vie...php?f=11&t=160

When are you planning on coming up here? I could give you a tour if I'm available.

Wild Man
    Hey guys/gals, sorry to butt-in....could somebody tell me how technical this trail is?

I have no worries for myself, but my son lives right near there and I'd love to get him out on some new trails. He's 10 and does OK on single track as long as there aren't too many big climbs or LONG sections with roots or rock gardens (short sections are OK but he's still pretty shaky)

mtbr member
    Low tech with some mid level features. No rocks that I can remember. Some bridges and log crossings and some rooty climbs. Hilly and flowy. The place drains well so the roots are usually dry and grippy

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    The trails are not technical at all. It's a great place for beginners. Smooth, zero rock gardens, with an occasional root. There's also a couple optional features that appeal to more advanced riders.

There are a couple climbs, but nothing too long.

Wild Man
    Thanks for the info! We will definitely check it out.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Small place but great trails -- tight single-track with lots of flow. Much of the trail loop I rode ran along the edge of a 20-40 ft gully and included lots of well-banked curves and even a short half pipe section.
    Obviously these trails were built/maintained by smart mountain bikers and look very sustainable. A great ride if you are in the area. I plan on going back and hit the trails from the south side parking lot entrance. There are apparently a lot more trails I missed...

mtbr member
    Fun place -good trails

mtbr member

Good place for kids to learn too.

dvn
    mtbr member
    I ride there all the time. Hit it up on my lunch break quite often just because it's so convenient. I actually did 15 mis. there one night last week. 3 loops.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    This is an old map
    Luther Forest Mountain Biking Trails | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

(there are roads there now) but do a lot of these trails exist?

mtbr member
    Rode them today with some buddies, very flowy. Not a ton of different terrain, it all generally rides the same. But, there is some fun sections with bridges and some downhill jumps to play on. Couple little trials obstacles to try out too...

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Anyone going Saturday morning?
    2012 Trek 4900
    2011 Trek 2.1
    1993 Giant Rincon

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by kwikshift View Post
    Anyone going Saturday morning?
    what time?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mattchuck2 View Post
    what time?
    Right about 10am. It's my first year riding so I am still learning the trails. White subaru legacy, I am tall, on a Trek HT.
    2012 Trek 4900
    2011 Trek 2.1
    1993 Giant Rincon

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Luther Forest - Thanksgiving Day
    - On the flat loop - southside
    Beautiful day - nice flowy trail!
    Last edited by caffeinery; 05-22-2013 at 08:30 PM. Reason: URL of photo had changed