mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Hope Looking to go on a MTB road trip where to go?

Looking to go on a little road trip with my girlfriend and the bikes next week leaving wensday and coming back thrusday. We live in NYC (Queens). Looking for some nice scenic places to ride within 3 hours drive from the city. Rather the place not be super extreme we goto Cunningham, Stillwell Woods, and Graham Hills and we have no problem handling anything at theses places and would like something around that skill level. Also feel free to post info on just nice rides weather it be on a paved off road or whatever we love water lakes waterfall ect. = D . Prolly going to do this a couple times in the spring so ill try to make each one that seems good at somepoint.

Thanks in Advance!!
    Matt

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Blue mountain reservation- Peekskill, NY. One hour north of city, maybe a bit less.

You can even take metro north from grand central with your bikes if you don't want to drive. The train ride is pretty scenic. WMBA.org for info on the park.

'Tis but a scratch

Check this out.

Stewards of Stewart

I don't know what kind of skills you or your girlfriend have, but this place is 6700 acres. It is not super technical, although there are some technical elements if you know where to find them. Its only 70 miles NW of NY, but it may take 2 hours with traffic (near NYC).

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    x2 for Blue Mountain. I'm from Long Island (out east-Port Jefferson) and I make the trip up there at least once a week. Just rode there today actually. It has something for everyone. There are some technical bits to challenge you, but also some nice smooth single track and scenic views to make it a nice ride for you and your girl. Just make sure to take some OFF or another kind of bug repellent. I stopped for a mechanical today and within minutes I had a swarm around my head.
    As the weather gets nicer Blue will be a great place to ride and BBQ. Good luck!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Blue Mountain is AWESOME, you should go there!
    If you're looking for something a bit further head up here to Saratoga, SMBA, may be a bit more technical than you're looking for but Saratoga Springs is a great town to hang out in.
    Or head out West to Ithaca, Cycle Cny.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Big Blue ! GR8 Place !!
    trlridr

mtbr member
    Fortunately your choices are many. Blue mountain and ninham mountain are awesome for technical riding, graham hills and sprain ridge are really close to you. If you're after some awesome mountain top views of the hudson valley with rocky trails check out Mount Beacon. Beacon cycles can give you info on the best trails if you don't mind the climbing to get up there, the trails back down will tear your eyes they're so fast. Stewart is a huge place for trail riding although it can be very muddy in spring. Fats in the Cats has a good map to show you the way to all the best spots. The connecticut website Crankfire will show you more. I've always wanted to ride trumbull, another awesome techy place from what I've read. I've ridden mianus a couple times in stamford, although smallish it's worth the ride.

mtbr member
    x2 on blue mountain.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Thanks again...Went to big blue the other day was great. Had a hard time finding the single tracks. Didnt really study the map much before heading in tho lol. Plus I've been spoiled with well marked trails if you've been to Cunningham you know what i mean. Been to Gram hills and Sprain both good spots. Planning on driving to Toronto in the summer going to hit up Cycle Cny on the way there and Saratoga Springs on the way back and stay the night near both. Those places look like a great time. Love finding new spots and i go on road trips and camp as much as possiable during the spring/summer so any more suggestions in the northeast would be great.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Rab1zzz View Post
    Thanks again...Went to big blue the other day was great. Had a hard time finding the single tracks. Didnt really study the map much before heading in tho lol. Plus I've been spoiled with well marked trails if you've been to Cunningham you know what i mean. Been to Gram hills and Sprain both good spots. Planning on driving to Toronto in the summer going to hit up Cycle Cny on the way there and Saratoga Springs on the way back and stay the night near both. Those places look like a great time. Love finding new spots and i go on road trips and camp as much as possiable during the spring/summer so any more suggestions in the northeast would be great.
    Hit me up when you're on your way through Saratoga. If I'm available I'd be happy to give you a tour...

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    that would be great...going around the end of august..

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

mtb trip

Hey if your going to Toronto check out HARDWOOD HILLS in Barrie ontario it rocks!!!!
    trlridr

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Another Gr8 place to go is Lake Placid (mt Van hovenberg) cross country ski area, its a real nice place to ride and lots of shops an good resturants .
    trlridr

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    North and South County Trailway in Westchester

Rider, Builder, Dreamer
    Quote Originally Posted by Rab1zzz View Post
    Add Oneonta to your list of stops. Easy to do a 25 mile ride without too much road (think under 2 miles) or repetition, especially if you have a local guide you. There are plenty of people who would be happy to show you around, including myself if I'm around.

mtbr member
    Shindagin hollow! Great camp spot too! You can ride all day a not hit the same trail, get a guide to go with and show the unmarked trails.
    60% of the time ......it works all the time