Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2007

Long Island riders, HT or FS?

What do you ride? and why?=)

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    There's a thread about HT vs. FS on the CLIMB forum right now. It's really pretty mixed from what I've seen. I rode a Specialized Hardrock for a decade before finding a really good deal on a Titus RX-1. I love having a good, light FS bike for our trails. Very happy I made the switch. I work in a bike shop now and yeah, lots of the hardtails still get my mouth watering a but I'm in no rush to own one again.

mtbr member
    I use a HT on Long Island. I am in the minority though. I ride Stillwell and Bethpage. At Stilwell I see a lot of FS. Hardly any HT's. But HT's can manage Stillwell and Bethpage just fine. I am in no rush to pick up an FS.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    i ride ht.. i just don't like fs. i feel like i lose a lot on pavement and i really only have the space for 1 bike, even though i have 4 in my living room anyways. 5 would seriously be bad, since only one of those is mine to begin with.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Talon 29er HT love it. really no need for FS on the Island that I can see

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Just joined over here and this is my first season back on a bike in 10 years. I used to BMX as a kid and wanted to get back into biking. I bought a Gary Fisher 29er HT and I love it. I ride Meadowlark mainly.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Meadowlark is awesome, arguably my favorite trail. Are you familiar with the other local trails?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I've lived in Northport my whole life (26 years) so I'm familiar with most of the woods around here. Makamah and the adjoining trails as well. I'm looking to expand my riding though.

turtles make me hot
    FS here. Mainly because I have it.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I ride a hard tail. When I was looking for a bike and spoke to a bunch of different people, the general consensus was that FS is overkill for what we have on LI. I mostly ride Rocky Point, Glacier Ridge and Setauket and I have no complaints on the HT decision. Plus they are cheaper and easier to maintain, maybe in the future when my skills surpass my bikes performance...if that ever happens.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by LI-MTB View Post
    I've lived in Northport my whole life (26 years) so I'm familiar with most of the woods around here. Makamah and the adjoining trails as well. I'm looking to expand my riding though.
    i've lived in northport a few years... i used to go to stillwell a lot, i've been going to meadowlark more this season. the first half is kinda boring but the second half gets a lot more interesting. i bought a few friends there but they were out of breath after 20 minutes lol.. i've been meaning to try makamah since its in riding distance from my house, how is it? my girlfriend is just beginning, meadowlark is too much for her, but i want to bring her to a new place near here if its fairly tame.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by LI-MTB View Post
    Just joined over here and this is my first season back on a bike in 10 years. I used to BMX as a kid and wanted to get back into biking. I bought a Gary Fisher 29er HT and I love it. I ride Meadowlark mainly.
    Quote Originally Posted by straycatkid View Post
    Meadowlark is awesome, arguably my favorite trail. Are you familiar with the other local trails?

I havent tried meadowlark but ride galcier ridge and stillwell quite often. Where is meadowlark?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ou2mame View Post
    i've lived in northport a few years... i used to go to stillwell a lot, i've been going to meadowlark more this season. the first half is kinda boring but the second half gets a lot more interesting. i bought a few friends there but they were out of breath after 20 minutes lol.. i've been meaning to try makamah since its in riding distance from my house, how is it? my girlfriend is just beginning, meadowlark is too much for her, but i want to bring her to a new place near here if its fairly tame.
    I recently just got my girlfriend to start biking. Took her to stillwell and that ended badly with two spills. She is a trooper and tried twice after by herself but just a little to much to soon. I took her to glacier and she loved her. Its def a beginner inter but also has double black diamonds for the fun

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    haha.. i'm gonna have to take her there. does it lead all the way to crab meadow? as long as she can go around some of the obstacles, i'll make her do the stuff that she can... when we went to meadowlark, she was literally hanging from a tree letting the bike fall away from her, while she's like mid climb on a tree trunk 10x her size. we should set a play date for the two of them, maybe they can learn from each others mistakes. mine can teach yours a lot.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by r1enthusiast View Post
    I havent tried meadowlark but ride galcier ridge and stillwell quite often. Where is meadowlark?
    its right behind the VA in northport. you can search it on google maps.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ou2mame View Post
    its right behind the VA in northport. you can search it on google maps.
    Or go to the CLIMB site for directions and a nice hand-drawn map of the trail with feature names.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    that too.. .but i'm adventurous haha.. meadowlark is a complete circle though, its hard to get lost there unless you give up and go up the horse trail

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by r1enthusiast View Post
    I recently just got my girlfriend to start biking. Took her to stillwell and that ended badly with two spills. She is a trooper and tried twice after by herself but just a little to much to soon. I took her to glacier and she loved her. Its def a beginner inter but also has double black diamonds for the fun
    This made me chuckle. I took my wife to Stillwell on her brand new Specalized Flyt 29er. She laid it down just before we completed the loop. She loves her new HT and was having a great ride with no complaints. I on the other hand I ride a FS. I enjoy bombing down rough trails and drops. I ride at Cunnigham park mostly.

mtbr member
    I've got 4 bikes: 1 F/S, 1 HT, 1 F/R SS and 1 F/R geared....all 29ers
    The F/S gets the least trail time, I bought it when I was having back problems and it really helped. Now that my back issues have cleared up I'd rather ride the HT or F/R, I feel more connected to the trail.
    There's nothing here on the island that these 2 platforms can't handle!
    I will however ride the F/S in the SWE 6 hour race at CP, that trail beats me up after a couple laps!!!!
    Too soon old-Too late smart!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by FlatTyre View Post
    I ride a hard tail. When I was looking for a bike and spoke to a bunch of different people, the general consensus was that FS is overkill for what we have on LI. I mostly ride Rocky Point, Glacier Ridge and Setauket and I have no complaints on the HT decision. Plus they are cheaper and easier to maintain, maybe in the future when my skills surpass my bikes performance...if that ever happens.
    What this guy said is me exactly. I ride the same 3 trails on A weekly basis with a 06 sPecialized hardrock fully custom and if i can conquer these 3 trAils on my bike that i have there is no need to go FS for long island. If u want to make bike trips off island in the future then maybe reconsider. I refuse to buy a new bike. Ive upgraded everything on the bike except for the crankset which i Plan on doing this winter and i manage just fine.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I ride a fully custom 06 Gary Fisher Tassajara Hard tail. Like Avalon00 iv'e changed everything on my bike including running 1x9 drive train. I can slay pretty much any trail on the island on that bike. I don't feel there's a need for a FS rig on Long Island aside from some of the rooty sections where some extra cush would be appreciated. If I were to purchase a new bike it would most likely be a 29er HT or possibly that "new" 650b platform also in a HT.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    FS Here
    The reason is it suits my riding style. I am an ex moto'r and can cut some fast lap times. I do not pick and choose lines. I go for the straightest and fastest lines from corner to corner. Usually not so much riding thru the stuff smashing thru the terrain. I am smooth and methodical loading and unloading the suspension.

I set my bikes up stiff (200-225lbs Rear shock with 35-45 lbs of tire pressure pending trail and trail conditions) except for the fork which I run on the softer side. Then again I am a fat pig...175-180lbs,

The suspension for me takes the edge off the bumps and eases the pain off my lower back. I used to ride a HT with a Suspension fork. The Frame was a triple butted Cromo frame that was forgiving.....But not forgiving enough, It also had me Picking and choosing lines that were smoother and slowed my lap times because the lines moved me off my intended course, I do not want to feel connected to the trail....only connected to my bike.

mtbr member
    I've always been on a HT. IMO, Long Island is good for bikes that see both the road and dirt because of how small it is. You can leave your house on your bike and ride right to the trails. At least that's what I like to do. And obviously, a HT with a front lockout is better suited for that than a FS would be.
    You can find me in the woods -- playing in the dirt and mud -- on my 2013 Trek Mamba -- or in my 1984 Chevrolet K10.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    So True....but the beauty is what ever works best for you. I did the HT years ago and found FS is better for me.

I am in smithtown though and I am about a 1/2 hour from most trails I ride. 18 miles from RP. I would prefer my road bike for the road.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Had a cheaper 26" Fs but since I bought a 29er ht.
    Last edited by JonnyMach; 08-21-2013 at 08:44 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast