Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I ride HT in Stillwell. Simplicity is the key =P

gonna try SS soon

mtbr member

Ride what you like but...

There is not a single trail on LI that REQUIRES fs. Anyone that has ridden off the Island can tell you our trails are not very technical, steep or rocky compared to NE or PA. They are fun though
    EAST COAST
    CLYDESDALE
    DREADLOCKED
    STEEL RIDER

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    It really comes down to the rider's preference. I ride a Trek Fuel EX 8 and is my only bike. In all honesty, my bike is overkill for LI. Sure, it's fun to toss around on the trails but 120mm travel is just silly for our tame LI trails. IMHO, if you want a direct no bull point and go bike, I believe a light HT 29er is the way to go for LI. FS bikes will work as well but don't expect to be too efficient on climbs. If you must go FS, pick up something with like a 100mm travel and something fairly light if your budget allows. I demoed a Giant Anthem X 29er and it was perfect for our trails if you want a FS. It was light and nimble. In the end though, it really comes down to your fitness level and what kind of riding you intend to do. I have seen guys on a 26" FS 6" travel bike going just as fast as a guy on a HT 29er. Go visit some bike shops and test out some bikes if you can, both FS and HT. You may find that you don't like riding a HT or vice versa. Good luck and remember to have fun on trails no matter what you go with.
    Civilian Young Turk 29er

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    HT for LI.

Since I moved out to Suffolk from Nassau a while back, my old '97 Specialized has been more than terrific for Rocky Point and Cathedral Pines, I have a mint FS Fisher Joshua I've recently inherited that I'd like to thrash around with a bit on the trails, but honestly, a tight, light HT is far better for control on our stuff unless your running the Dbl. Black Diamonds all day long and plan for abusing your ride... for XC and trails an good HT is more than enuff... jus my .02

H

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    We should pull a giant Suffolk Rocky Point HT ride together sometime in the future, 20+ bikes cutting down one line of singletrack would be quite awesome!!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by StumpyH View Post
    We should pull a giant Suffolk Rocky Point HT ride together sometime in the future, 20+ bikes cutting down one line of singletrack would be quite awesome!!!!
    you should have rode triple crown, there were 75 of us hitting cathedral, glacier and RP. It was awesome

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I was just reading through this thread and I think a lot of people are either going with a straight up XC hardtail or something more like a Trail/All mountain full sus bike. I think a full sus XC bike is just as appropriate for LI trails as an XC hardtail is. All of the XC full sus bikes I've ridden (we're talking 100mm of rear travel or less) were nearly as efficient and just as fun as any HT XC bike I've ridden. So many of the world cup XC riders are on full sus bikes even on the most tame courses. In the end though, just like others have said, ride what you like and what puts the biggest grin on your face.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by r1enthusiast View Post
    you should have rode triple crown, there were 75 of us hitting cathedral, glacier and RP. It was awesome
    YEEESSSSS..... Rocky Point! One of my first real trail rides!!! love it!!
    Sorry I wasnt hip to this site when it went down... Pleeeeze keep me in mind the next time an epic journey goes down, if you guys arent hitting BDiamonds and 60 foot drop offs but just typical single track, I can prolly hang, as long as you can handle having a wheezing old man riding my HT in last slot ( I'll keep an eye for rear attacks from hungry squirrels)... leme know!

H

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Pike14 View Post
    I was just reading through this thread and I think a lot of people are either going with a straight up XC hardtail or something more like a Trail/All mountain full sus bike. I think a full sus XC bike is just as appropriate for LI trails as an XC hardtail is. All of the XC full sus bikes I've ridden (we're talking 100mm of rear travel or less) were nearly as efficient and just as fun as any HT XC bike I've ridden. So many of the world cup XC riders are on full sus bikes even on the most tame courses. In the end though, just like others have said, ride what you like and what puts the biggest grin on your face.
    Idk, I have an old HT and an old FS that was given to me (the FS is far heavier than my HT) and having only taken the FS out to a trail Once, I guess I felt even with max preload it was noticibly heavier and I wasnt happy having the back end wash out on me (thats how it felt to me) when I'd get out of the saddle, drop a gear and hammer to get out of somthing. I guess it also really depends upon the Ride, I think if its you an a buddy on a familiar stretch of trail and you know what the speed/difficulty will be, its easier to cruise something with a plush back end, if its something like an epic ride with 75 guys you dont know and your not sure of the routes your taking, I might be more inclined to take my HT (and be prepared to have my a$$ handed to me to keep up), and I'd want something with a faster reaction time and quicker response to have a chance to keep up! (Then again, I dont have a Factory FS ride to compare it to, I'm sure the current hi end FS bikes would make me change my opinion in a hurry!) so I guess, yeah, it's whatever makes you happy and keeps you riding!!

is red
    I ride HT, no need for an FS where I ride
    2012 Trek/GF Cobia
    + Shimano PD-M530

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Every1 tells me unless u ride DH or u just want a more comfortable ride which sum ppl need go full squish. No need on the island. Ppl with back problems may need to ride full squish. Really its all a matter of preference imo

mtbr member
    Brought my Fatbike down with me for Thanksgiving and rode Stillwell this morning. Had a blast on the black trails with my carbon fork and 9psi. Didn't miss my fully at all.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I still rock my HT on long island trails which I feel is more than ample. However a buddy of mine insisted on buying an overdone, heavy 5-6" travel FS as his 1st ride in spite of my arguments and suggestions. I was beside myself with laughter watching him trying to hump that thing through Rocky Point on his maiden voyage. Just to add salt to his wound I offered to switch bikes with him for a couple miles which then turned a few miles cuz he didnt wanna give it back! lol Hes now planning on selling the FS and getting a 29er HT. Hate to say I told you so!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    i currently don't own a bike but i'm leaning towards buying a hard tail if that counts!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I have a few FS bikes. 2 Intense Tracers and a Intense Spider.

all my Bikes are set up stiff. They are set up for speed and do not wallow on the trail. When just tooling around slow they beat the piss out of me. I set them up to take the edge off a ruff ride.

I have found that in the past, when riding my HT i was picking and choosing smooth lines (even if it ment choosing a slower line). Then at the end of the ride my lower back would be inflamed.

But as pike said.....what ever puts a grin on your face

mtbr member
    Will the real sParty please stand up?

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaBass_ View Post
    Will the real sParty please stand up?
    I would love to, but everytime I try to stand up............ Those Bastards bush me back down!!!!!
    I tried using Spartacus as my screen name at CLIMB and Sick4surf told me "you can't use that screen name any more because it creates controversy". Then they banded me.

Yeah me..... The guy who does trail patrol...... Trail steward....... Started the triple crown.......started the FTF ..... And god knows what else I have done for the community.

That was my reward for helping........... Getting banned !!!!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Screw'em Sparty just Do You !!! We gotta ride Shoreham one of these days i need a full tour. I hear its up to 27 miles now. Most i ever did was 19 thats like all of CP lol Cant wait to get back into RP for more trail work once it warms up a lil mayb next week
    Last edited by avalon00; 01-27-2013 at 04:27 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Hey Bri............. Yeah ....... For the most part they are not very good people.

I was at the trail today.......... Friggin awesome!

banned
    Jan 2013
    Climb not good people? Shocking.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by The OLE Bagger View Post
    Climb not good people? Shocking.
    I can't tell if sarcasm
    You can find me in the woods -- playing in the dirt and mud -- on my 2013 Trek Mamba -- or in my 1984 Chevrolet K10.

banned
    Jan 2013
    Yeah man fs is awesome!!!!! I don't have one ht only. FS on LI is an oxymoron.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Tell ya what. I have one of those new fangle Fox forx. Its an RLC and I really cant get the damned thing dialed for LI. Its Harsh as hell on the stutter bumps and Bottoms easy on big hits.
    I have an older open bath on the other bike and was able to dial it perfect. I used a lighter oil and a higher level and just adjust the C and R as needed.

This newer fork has a cartridge and cant adjust the oil hieght. Havent changed the oil yet....but will soon

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I like a full suspension bike

db4
    mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Long Island riders, HT or FS?-img_2657.jpgSurly Moonlander Fat bike ride trail , beach,snow love riding on the beach no cars ,no dust, no pollen ,no ticks and the scenery is not bad. have not been on my road or29er since. Helisport in huntington has demos if you want to try one out.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast