mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Lake Seneca Biking Vacation

Hello Everybody!

My girlfriend and I are planning a biking trip or two for the summer and I thought that you all might have some good ideas. I was thinking about coming up to Lake Seneca. We were up for a wine tour last winter and loved it. I did some searching around on here and on google for trails and didn't find anything too promising. We would like some intermediate level trails that aren't going to be too stressful for the lady and I. Does anybody have any recommendations for trails in this or other areas that would be worth the trip? We live near Reading PA and would be willing to travel a few hours (4ish) for a weekend trip. The wineries and breweries of Seneca are a big attraction for us!

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    You're not too far from Dryer Rd. in Victor and Ontario County Park in Naples if you're looking for single track. There's a couple of rail trails around the Canandaigua area. Visit mygroc.com for details on Dryer and OCP. Not sure about anything east of there, but there's a Central NY MTB group (don't have the website) which should have more info.

It's going to depend a bit on where along Seneca Lake you're staying as it's a big lake. If you're near Watkins Glen or lower east side, Shindagin could be an excellent option. If you're up around Penn Yan / west side, Harriett Hollister would be good. If you're up around Geneva, Dryer Road.

Check out: Cycle-Cny
    And as previously mentioned: MyRoc

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Check out Shindagin Hollow. I'd advise parking at the north end of Brearly and start on the blue trail, taking it clockwise.
    Shindagin - Directions and Trail maps for Shindagin Hollow, near Ithaca, NY
    Ski = MC Squared: Mountain Biking - Ithaca, Shindagin Hollow State Forest

dwt
    mtbr member

Lake Seneca Biking Vacation

Second Shindagin if you can get there. Pretty much the best the Fingerlakes region has to offer IMO.

As posted earlier, I've never been to the Fingerlakes National Park, but it's right on the lake and maybe close to where you will be:

http://www.fs.usda.gov/fingerlakes

Warning: the region is getting ridiculously rained out right now. When it dries out, I will check this park out before I go for a whiskey tasting at nearby Fingerlakes Distilllery.
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

^ I've never made it to FLNF either. About all I've found on it is this old thread:
    Winter riding passion - Fingerlakes National Forest

Note specifically:
    Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    FLNF is a pretty cool place, nestled on top of a ridge overlooking the East shore of Seneca Lake. 16,000 acres of forest land and fields. Itís not much for singletrack in the summer so we rarely ride there, but in the winter the snowmobiles typically leave us some good tracks to ride on.
    And later on in the thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by TwistedCrank View Post
    I spent many hours on those trails in the early ninties. The FL National Forest trails would get pretty hammered by horse traffic in the summer.
    The fact that it's absent from Cycle CNY's website also seems a bit telling.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    So we have made our plans. We are going to spend two days on the Shindagin trails and stay in Ithaca and 2 days over at Watkins Glen - we are going to hike the Glen one day and bike somewhere the other. I'm still in search of a good spot to ride near Watkins Glen. Any suggestions? Please keep in mind the parameters of the orginal post! Thank you for all your help!