Thread: Lake Placid?

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Lake Placid?

Hey all,

Are there any good resources for mountain biking (or road cycling) in the Lake Placid area? Looks like we'll be up there mid-summer for a week (following the IronMan, for which the wife volunteered).

We'll be staying near the town of Lake Placid, probably off Averyville Rd(?).

A mix of terrain is fine, but leaning towards flowing singletrack. The wife isn't a big fan of technical stuff.

Bike shops in town? Group rides? And any generic advice about the area much appreciated.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    The search function is your friend...
    http://forums.mtbr.com/search.php?searchid=48451

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Here you go, these guys have plenty of information on their site. I bought my bike there and they are very knowledgeable. If you go in and tell them what kind of biking you want to do, they will hook you up.

Placid Planet Bicycles | Lake Placid, NY | Ironman Cervelo Orbea Felt Cannondale Santa Cruz Kona

short timer
    Jul 2008

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jmitchell13 View Post
    The search function is your friend...
    http://forums.mtbr.com/search.php?searchid=48451
    First, I did search, and didn't find anything recent. Search for "placid" in the NY subforum and all results are from 2006 or earlier (and a lot can change WRT trail access and conditions in 6+ years).

Second, "Sorry - no matches".

cough*jerk*cough

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I've got family in Lake Placid and try to visit every summer. For the past couple years, I've spent part of my trip doing some mountain biking. My priority is riding a day or two at Whiteface, they've got some amazing DH riding there. Not the flowy, groomed trails you see at Whistler or Trestle but technical, gnarly, steep, singletrack. The "flume" trails (I think that's what they're called) can be accessed right there from Whiteface, and it's some great XC riding. I know there's some other trails around check out the Barkeater Trails site someone posted earlier. From the people I talked to, mountain biking is still pretty "new" in Lake Placid but there are some great trails that will only continue to get bigger/better.

mtbr member
    I've never ridden in Lake Placid but I'm sure there are a ton of different road routes that are worth doing. I don't know if you use strava but if you do just type lake placid in the explore - segment explore search and it brings up a quite a few routes to at least get you started on where some people are riding the road.
    "Like" the Brewery Ommegang facebook team page

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Team-...18356588347806

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Crack Monkey View Post
    First, I did search, and didn't find anything recent. Search for "placid" in the NY subforum and all results are from 2006 or earlier (and a lot can change WRT trail access and conditions in 6+ years).

Second, "Sorry - no matches".

cough*jerk*cough
    Use the advanced search, search for the keyword "placid" and select search titles only.
    Sorry my link didn't work...