mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Ithaca is terrible for test riding the mountain bike you want

Hey,

Living in Ithaca is a bit tough to test ride some manufacturers mountain bikes unless they are Scott and Specialized and even then the selection is a bit slim. The bikes I was looking are the Yeti sb66, the Ibis mojo, and the Santa Cruz nomad.

Id have to go all the way up to lake placid to test ride the sb66. Santa Cruz dealers doesnt even stock 1 nomad, even for testing, in their shops (wtf!). The closest I can get is the Ibis mojo, but still have to go up to Rochester.

Anyone in the Ithaca area or within an reasonable drive that I can take their bike for a spin? Preferably the bikes listed above but I'm certainly open minded about what others think would be a good comparison to the said bikes. Please help!

mtbr member
    I don't know anyone local with the Yeti, but I know of at least one rider with a Nomad. There are several folks with the Ibis. I guess that's 'cause you can actually buy them here.

Try posting on cycle-cny.com, or their FB page. More locals follow that than MTBR.

Dudette
    Swizzle - I feel your pain! Ithaca is a bit limited in regards to brands and bikes to demo. Unfortunately selling and keeping the bikes you mention in stock would just be too much overhead for the average shop to carry and risk not selling because there simply wasn't a market for it. I took advantage of a Giant Demo Day before purchasing my TX29er. I too had been frustrated by not being able to check out some of my previous top choices. Have you checked out or done any searches in Syracuse? Much bigger city with a lot more shops. If you can swing it, a bunch of us in the area go down to Raystown Lake for Dirt Fest in May. They have tons of manufacturers that demo their bikes there and it's an excellent way to throw your leg over a Niner or Pivot, or a number of other brands. Definitely check out the site mentioned above, too. Good luck!

dwt
    mtbr member

Ithaca is terrible for test riding the mountain bike you want

I don't think Syracuse is a whole lot better for demos. Plus Ithaca has Shindagin Hollow which is the best place to ride in CNY anyhow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by petey15 View Post
    Swizzle - I feel your pain! Ithaca is a bit limited in regards to brands and bikes to demo. Unfortunately selling and keeping the bikes you mention in stock would just be too much overhead for the average shop to carry and risk not selling because there simply wasn't a market for it. I took advantage of a Giant Demo Day before purchasing my TX29er. I too had been frustrated by not being able to check out some of my previous top choices. Have you checked out or done any searches in Syracuse? Much bigger city with a lot more shops. If you can swing it, a bunch of us in the area go down to Raystown Lake for Dirt Fest in May. They have tons of manufacturers that demo their bikes there and it's an excellent way to throw your leg over a Niner or Pivot, or a number of other brands. Definitely check out the site mentioned above, too. Good luck!
    Cool man, I will definitely check out dirt fest. I'm thinking however that I will probably have a new bike before May, but I'll still be interested in that in attending just for the hell of it. I did get a chance to try the Mojo. Had to drive to Rochester for it though. The bike was definitely worth the trip, a beautiful machine. Next weekend I have to go all the way to NYC to try the sb66 in my size. They're the only ones within a 400 mile radius that stocks it! The one in lake placid just sold their only one. It's a bit ridiculous going to such lengths just to test ride bikes but I think it will be worth it in the end.

Dudette
    I just suggested Syracuse as they have more shops there, so even if you can't get it out for a proper demo, at least you can see the bike in person and swing a leg over to get a feel for it. It's a lot closer than Lake Placid. And yeah, I ride Shinny all the time - it is a great place to ride!

Rider, Builder, Dreamer
    Just get a 2013 Stumpy Expert Evo. Heck, you can even take mine for a spin out here in Oneonta if you want. Hands down the best bike I've ever owned and (for me) would beat out any of the VPP bikes.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by sambs827 View Post
    Just get a 2013 Stumpy Expert Evo. Heck, you can even take mine for a spin out here in Oneonta if you want. Hands down the best bike I've ever owned and (for me) would beat out any of the VPP bikes.
    Funny you should say that actually. So as of late I've really been checking out the stumpy comp evo and it is currently my number 1 pick. Drove up to Syracuse the other day to try it out and it was definitely tits. An awesome bike for the price and it comes with a dropper post too!

I'm leaning towards the comp because I'm not totally convinced about the brain technology. Does it work well for you? And I also heard that it's quite hard to maintain. Is this true. Oh, and also that its twice the price as the comp evo. But I have an open mind about the price if it is totally worth the carbon frame, brain shock, and sick components.

Rider, Builder, Dreamer
    Actually the Stumpy Evos (both the expert at comp) both come with a non-brain Fox Float CTD shock. The Expert Evo has the Kashima coated shock though, whereas the Comp has the regular coating on the shock piston. Haven't weighed my expert evo yet, but I'm pretty sure its around 27.5# with a medium frame and SPDs.

Oh, and the XO Type II derailleur is awesome. Keeps the bike silent. Still, I'd rather have the Revelation that comes on the Comp than the Fox TALAS 34 that comes on the Expert Evo.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Just took the plunge and made a down payment on a '13 stumpy evo comp 26''. So freaking stoked. Heard great things about the revelation shock and I'm actually more excited about that than I would be if there were the TALAS on there. 20 mil axle instead of 15 - no brainer. I hear alot of not so bad things about the hubs, tires, and brakes. But i'd lean towards some hope hubs, maxxis high rollers and some formula R1 brakes at some point if I needed to swap them out. I think I'd be set after that.

Rider, Builder, Dreamer
    How's the Stumpy treating you? I swapped the 34 CTD on mine for a Revelation RCT 3. I've gotten out a couple times and totally love it. Hope you're having fun on yours.