Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Rider, Builder, Dreamer

How's Old Man Winter treating you?

I got out for 2 and a half hours yesterday. I wouldn't have, but 2 of my buddies were in town and were riding, and I wouldn't have heard the end of it if I didn't get out for a while.

We started at 10:45 AM. It was 12 degrees out. I called it quits at 1:15, at which point it had worked its way up all the way to 18 degrees. Most of the trails were pretty good; frozen ground and just a dusting of snow to make everything look cool. Some of the old-school, rake n ride trails were totall frost heaved, making for some tough going. I was on a loaned Specialized Epic Expert 29er (thanks to Ed at Otsego Bicycles for the loaner while I wait for my Stumpy EVO FSR) with race tires on it, so any bit of snow or frost heave made things tough going. Had a blast though.

If the ground isn't frozen too deep I'll probably get a work crew out this weekend to do some digging on our new trail. If it is, I'll be out hiking with a GPS; my winter project (and internship) is creating a map of the 30+ miles of trail here in Oneonta.

Let's hear what you're up to in the cold months.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Here on Long Island I have been getting out at the least once a week.

There are a couple of trails that are not used much and another that drains well.

Not much mud and I will not go out in the crazy cold. 18 is way to cold for me!

Rogue Exterminator
    Western NC has not been too bad in my part of the mountains (near Asheville)
    I have seen snow a couple times but nothing that has stuck.
    Maybe one day in the 20's, a small handful in the 30's but most in the 40's-60's.
    Even a few in the 70's.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    Typically winter is the time where I slow way down at work but not this year. When I'm not too tired to ride I'll go out when I can whether it's frigid or not. A pair of real winter shoes and the appropriate level of warm clothes for the conditions are all that's needed to ride year round. Buying myself a fatbike for Christmas keeps me motivated too

sje
    mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I just got my first bike in December and I'm totally new to riding, so the lousy, frigid weather is kind of disheartening. I've gotten out only a few times since I bought the bike, which is kind of a bummer, but this morning I purchased an indoor trainer just to work on my fitness so that when the weather starts to turn, I can hit the trails without having to worry too much about being unfit to ride.

banned
    Jan 2013
    Well..(chest scratch) the bagger rides in ALL seasons. There is NO off season. I have rollers set up in the basement with a stack of tour videos. Hit the the trails whenever possible. The road is never out of the question either. Cyclocross....sure do! Really anytime is ride time.

mtbr member
    I get out around once a week between all the other stuff I am involved in. But the 30's is my limit, colder than that I am out.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    What I hate about the cold is....breathing it in when i'm honking on it. Pretty uch I stay warm with my clothes. Most of the time i finish riding i am soaking wet.

I have the trainer.......Spin class (with lots of motivation from chicks in spandex!!!)....Running and hitting the weights.

Never an idiol moment

mtbr member
    I have been going out a ton this winter and plan to keep it up. I've been staying nice and warm in my clothes so the temperature has never really been a problem (strong winds can be harsh though).
    You can find me in the woods -- playing in the dirt and mud -- on my 2013 Trek Mamba -- or in my 1984 Chevrolet K10.

mtbr member
    Been riding plenty. Not scared of the cold ...

Might be shut down Friday though as they say a big storm's heading our way ... we'll see.

Couple of local riders got fatbikes this year ... bet they've got their fingers crossed for some powder.

SPP
    Rigid.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowPokePete View Post
    Been riding plenty. Not scared of the cold ...

Might be shut down Friday though as they say a big storm's heading our way ... we'll see.

Couple of local riders got fatbikes this year ... bet they've got their fingers crossed for some powder.

SPP
    I hope the "storm" turns out to be nothing like it usually is just so I can ride. I don't have a fatbike so I guess I'm being a little biased.
    You can find me in the woods -- playing in the dirt and mud -- on my 2013 Trek Mamba -- or in my 1984 Chevrolet K10.

banned
    Jan 2013
    Gonna be a big one the weekend. Bagger might try and ride anyway.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slowpokepete View Post
    been riding plenty.
    Couple of local riders got fatbikes this year ... Bet they've got their fingers crossed for some powder.

Spp
    yup

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TORQUE-29er View Post
    yup
    ..although they are calling for 12"+ on friday-Sat.,t
    oo deep?,may have to snowshoe the trails first.dragging a car tire behind me.who's in for some tire dragging Graham action?

Rider, Builder, Dreamer
    I'm hoping the dump ends up as it's supposed to. If it does I'll get to XC ski 3 miles to and from work, which will consist of taking people's IDs as collateral for the snowshoes I'll be giving them at our College Camp.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    like spp, ive been riding all winter as well,mainly on weekends. i go to the gym durung the week.with this dump of snow, i will be building snowmen and sledding with my son,and doing some good xc skiing

mtbr member

Snowing pretty good out there now...

Got a quickie at graham today anyway.

SPP
    Rigid.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    This sums up the weather today here in new Haven CT.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

mtbr member
    woke up to over a foot of snow here in Westchester county.
    going to try and see how far i can get on my fatbike later...

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    We ended up with 34" (without drifts). The snow on the road is level with car hoods.

Pictures to follow.

dwt
    mtbr member

Winter is for cross training.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

mtbr member
    ...or tinkering. I'm planning to rip the Sram X5 front derailer off my Kahuna and try 1x10 gearing for a while.

mtbr member
    Front derailer pulled. Now to order a BBG bashguard.

mtbr member
    Haven't rode in a while due to the snow storm and now my plan to ride today as been ruined due to the rain.

mtbr member
    First ride with 1x10 conversion was a success! For what I ride, I found all the gears I needed. Bash guard on order.

ps - it was an icy, muddy, sloppy mess out in albany today.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How's Old Man Winter treating you?-dscn7744.jpg  

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast