mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Here comes the rain.

I hope everyone got all the riding in they wanted. With this drought the trails should be good to go real quick!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    The trails actually need it. The braking bumps have been getting weird and there's a bunch of other stuff that needs smoothing after the extended dry spell we've had. This will be the first significant dousing the trails have had since early July. This will also flush the air out of the upper soils so they freeze better and fatbike bushwack adventures will be better because of it.

'Tis but a scratch
    ^ "When life gives you lemons, make lemonade". Great perspective!

We've been spoiled with the lack of rain. I'm actually kind of looking forward to having a puddle here and there. My bikes have been coming home "too clean".

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    The trails definately need some moisture. Dry is an understatement. Brake bumps are out of control, the top layer of soil is breaking down fast and ruts are starting to form.

I will probably hit "My Fav trail" Thursday and friday as it handles the rain really well.

There is a ride posted for manorville for Thanks Giving, but i will probably pass on that as it will be a mudfest.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Looks like we are going to enjoy another awesome week of night riding. Hooray for 50 degree's!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    And ... I was right. The top layers have pretty much smoothed out and had the air flushed out. I was out on Tuesday and the still frozen parts were buffed smooth while the dry areas were crunchy and smooth but not as buff. All in all things have settled in nicely for the winter. This rain today should seal the deal and set things up juuuust right

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I am definitely hoping the rain melted away the sheet ice at Luther Forest and left it in good shape for tomorrow morning. Good riding
    Eric

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    It might be melted right now but it's going to refreeze tonight.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Luther Forest drains REALLY quickly. As long as the order is Rain -> Ice -> Snow then it should be frozen ground with a layer of snow. If it goes Rain -> Ice -> Snow -> Rain -> Snow -> Rain then it will be packed sheet ice, like last week. I would bet the rain from yesterday has soaked in to the ground there, and left it a bit muddy, which will freeze tonight. I'm just hoping (maybe a bit optimistically) that whatever precip they get down there, leaves an inch or so of snow on top of frozen ground rather than a skate rink.
    Eric