mtbr member

Going to Freeville on Sat., Shindagin ride

I know this is a short notice, I'll be in the Freeville area on Saturday. Taking the girlfriend to see an old friend who lives there, we're from the Scranton area. Her husband won't be around so I mentioned to the girlfriend there's some good mtbing in the area. Much to my surprise she said bring your bike and go for a ride. I'd like to ride Shindagin, is anyone up to showing me around that is familiar with the area? I'd greatly appreciate it, but would understand if anyone couldn't on a short notice. I'd be available I'm thinking around noon. I have a GPS, is it doable by myself? Let me check Garmin connect for a route. Thanks again, Mike.
    2011 Stump Jumper
    2005 Iron Horse Warrior

mtbr member
    Mike,

Shindagin is totally doable by yourself. Go to cycle-cny.com and print out a map. The trails there are marked very well. As long as you stay on the single track you can't get lost really. Get on some double track and it may take you out a ways. But who the hell would ride on double track when there's single track to be had? The reds and yellows are probably the easiest to ride in terms of not knowing where you're going but if you can get out on the blues and do the IMBA trail. Its B4 on the map. I would recommend parking at the first parking lot on Braley Hill Road. Its the northern most one closest to Shindagin Hollow Road. You'd probably have more fun going with someone that knows the area but if you decide to go it alone you'll still have a blast. There are just some really fun trails that aren't on the maps.

http://www.shindagin.com/new_shindagin_topo_map.pdf

http://www.shindagin.com/ccnymap.pdf

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info. I got a call at work today that the trip is put off till August sometime. I did a drive thru the area last summer and saw the marked trails along Braley road. I'll check out CNY for sure. Thanks again, Mike
    2011 Stump Jumper
    2005 Iron Horse Warrior

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by shanem View Post
    Mike,

Shindagin is totally doable by yourself. Go to cycle-cny.com and print out a map. The trails there are marked very well. As long as you stay on the single track you can't get lost really. Get on some double track and it may take you out a ways. But who the hell would ride on double track when there's single track to be had? The reds and yellows are probably the easiest to ride in terms of not knowing where you're going but if you can get out on the blues and do the IMBA trail. Its B4 on the map. I would recommend parking at the first parking lot on Braley Hill Road. Its the northern most one closest to Shindagin Hollow Road. You'd probably have more fun going with someone that knows the area but if you decide to go it alone you'll still have a blast. There are just some really fun trails that aren't on the maps.

http://www.shindagin.com/new_shindagin_topo_map.pdf

http://www.shindagin.com/ccnymap.pdf
    Is there a certain direction better than the other? CW vs CCW? Which trail has all logs, bridges, etc that I see pics online of?

Do you know which trails these are?
    gopro mountain biking at shindagin hollow, ithaca new york - YouTube

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I've only been once, so I'm not an expert, but when we got there, locals recommended that we ride the trails from the top to the bottom (generally downhill directon) and ride up the road. That was GREAT suggestion!

Generally, we rode down B1, B3, B4, then up the road, then down R1, R2, up R3 and out to road, then down B7 and B6. Our route and pics are here: map 11-6-11 850h.jpg photo - j_harvey photos at pbase.com.

The blue trails were more technical than the red. I hear they get wetter in wet weather (it was dry when we were there). There are some good trails that aren't on the map, so if you run into locals, ask about them.

In hindsight, it would have been good to park at the parking area 1/2 way up the road, then you never have to do the whole road climb at once.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by THATmanMANNY View Post
    Is there a certain direction better than the other? CW vs CCW? Which trail has all logs, bridges, etc that I see pics online of?

Do you know which trails these are?
    gopro mountain biking at shindagin hollow, ithaca new york - YouTube

That trail in the video is not on the map. It is not hard to find though. It is off B1