mtbr member

Finger Lakes National Forest Trails

Any one ever ride here? If so how about a quick review. I am looking for places to ride with my wife who is just starting out. Nothing technical. No big climbs or drops.
    thanks

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    It's not worth it, IMO. There are only a few miles currently designated for mtb'ing and they're spread out across the forest, unlinked. At one point, the trail crosses through a pasture with cows and a bull in it. I wasn't too thrilled about that, myself. You might be able to put together some rides on the dirt roads, though. If you're looking for more of a double/single-track experience, I'm not sure exactly where you are, but Hammond Hill SF in Dryden is good for beginners. Also, Bear Swamp SF at the southern end of Skaneateles Lake is very non-technical. You can also put together some loops at Chenango Valley State Park, just east of Binghamton, on the old carriage roads that wouldn't be too techy. The Sylvan Trail is one loop you two could do together. I really liked Oakley Corners in Newark Valley/Owego when I was first starting out. The yellow trails... they are extremely rooty in some places, but every mountain bike comes with a built in hiker. Check out Cycle-Cny for trail maps and directions to parking areas.

mtbr member
    Thanks mudgirl. We will not be making a trip down there for the forest trails. My problem is now that I got my wife off the back of our tandem and on her own fat bike it's hard to find non technical trails close by for her to get some ridding experience on and gain some confidence. We have been ridding the erie canal and one county rail trail but it gets boring fast. I am trying to find a real trail that is very mild.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Finger Lakes National Forest Trails

Have you tried Highland Forest? I rode there last year, don't remember it being very technical, do remember nice flowy trails.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sgtstretch View Post
    Have you tried Highland Forest? I rode there last year, don't remember it being very technical, do remember nice flowy trails.
    I rode Highland forest last year. Way to much for her at this point.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Where are you located? It sounds like you might be up near Syracuse or Rochester? If you're near Rochester, as I recall it, Ontario State Park has an abundance of non-technical riding. Also, I've never been there, but I hear that Harriet Hollister State Park in Dansville has good trails for beginners. If you're closer to Syracuse, C.N.Y.D.I.R.T. used to have beginner rides up at Highland Park in Tully every other Saturday or once a month or something. I attended a few of those when I first began mtb'ing, and they were really friendly and encouraging, and fun to ride with. There are a lot of easy double track type trails up there.

[edit] I just saw your other post that you've ridden there. So easier than Highland... If you're down in Ithaca, you might want to check out the Black Diamond Trail that starts at Cass Park. It's a rails to trails, but goes by numerous little waterfalls as streams make their way from the hillside down to the lake. They working to expand it so that it runs from Ithaca to Trumansburg, and will eventually by 12 miles long, but is now only maybe 3 or 4. There's also the Catharine Valley Trail just south of Watkins Glen. There's another rail trail that starts in Penn Yan and connects Seneca and Keuka Lakes, called the Keuka Outlet Trail. If you wanted to do a weekend trip, the Pine Creek Trail that follows the Grand Canyon of the East would be really fun: Tioga County, PA Visitors Bureau and the Grand Canyon of Pennsylvania Rail Trail

mtbr member
    Saturday we rode 20 something miles on the local (Oswego County Trail) west end. It is a rail to trail and there are a couple of rougher sections but mostly just cruising. She did well with it. Today we drove with some friends to the east end terminus of the same trail and rode another 23 miles. Same kind of thing, smooth cinders and rocks with a few rougher sections. Again she did well but where there are intersection with county roads the trail always has a sharp elevation to the road she stops and walks the bike up to the road. I don't blame her for that sometimes there is fast moving traffic at these intersections. I wish there was some thing in between a rail trail and a real trail around here. We are in Oswego.