mtbr member

Do I bring my bike to Thendara?

Taking a family getaway this weekend to Thendara/ Old Forge area. Should I throw the bike on the roof to get some quality time in at Fern Park or skip it for more time with the wife and kid?
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Take it, ride Moss, Bubb & Sis and Cascade in Eagle Bay; that's my usual weekend ride but we exit at Bubb and ride snowmobile trail 5 back to OF.

mtbr member
    Also the Maple Ridge (old ski hill) trails behind the OF school are fun and you can link up to the McCauley Mountain xc trails and ride up to the summit. Go under the chair lift full of tourists and follow the blue diamonds. Visit Ted in the Pedals and Petals bike shop in Inlet for info on trails.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info DirtDev and AleRider! I am definitely leaning towards bringing the bike. Looks like alot of good trail options. Are conditions good? dry? wet?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by erudition12000 View Post
    Thanks for the info DirtDev and AleRider! I am definitely leaning towards bringing the bike. Looks like alot of good trail options. Are conditions good? dry? wet?

Thanks!
    Didn't rode there last weekend, was at the Shindagin Jam but so far no rain, only heavy fog, morning mist and on the chilli side. 10 day forecast looks good and is usually spot on.

You can also ride the Thendara snowmobile trails and Nelson lake (near Singing Waters). Ted @ Pedals n Petals knows most of the trails and is a great guy to talk to; another source of info is singletracks.com.

The area isn't know for it's mountain biking but if you talk to the right people you'll find out that there are trails, is just a matter of finding them.
    Last edited by DiRt DeViL; 09-12-2012 at 11:12 AM.

mtbr member
    Rode Bub, Sis, Moss over Labor Day and the trails were bone dry and fast. We got some rain last Saturday, but the trails should still be dry.

I'll be up there this weekend, but riding on pavement. Doing a pub crawl around the Fulton Chain

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Did the tri lakes yesterday and the trails were fine after the weather that we had Friday night, had to remove some fallen trees along the ride thou.

mtbr member
    Nice, glad to hear they're in good shape, thanks for clearing the blowdown. I wasn't in the woods this weekend, but rode on South Shore Road Saturday morning and there were a bunch of downed trees from Friday's storm.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AleRider View Post
    I wasn't in the woods this weekend, but rode on South Shore Road Saturday morning and there were a bunch of downed trees from Friday's storm.
    Where you in the roadie group that stopped for refreshments at Tony Harper's? Was walking the dog around town and saw a bunch of roadies having a cold one.

mtbr member
    Nice photos!

We had a great time in Thendara & Old Forge this weekend. I tried out the Mapleridge/McCauley trail Saturday morning. Didn't ride to the summit, but made about a 9 mile loop by the time I was back to where we were staying on the Moose River. Followed it up with a 3 mile hike with my family.

Trails were in great shape with only one big tree down right before the split into McCauley. Lovely weather Sunday with leaves starting to turn!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DiRt DeViL View Post
    Where you in the roadie group that stopped for refreshments at Tony Harper's? Was walking the dog around town and saw a bunch of roadies having a cold one.
    Yup, I was there; that was our last stop after hitting several pubs working our way back from Inlet to Otter Lake. We're not really roadies, just mountain bikers riding road bikes (some of us anyway)!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Do I bring my bike to Thendara?-481131_414440178605194_1228433522_n.jpg  

mtbr member
    skinny, skinny, skinny, skinny, ...wait a second!!!

: )

mtbr member
    Think that have seen the guy with the fat bike on 28 a couple of times on my way home, where do you guys ride in or near Otter Lake? Getting tired of the same trail every weekend.

Any dirt rides planned for the near future?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by erudition12000 View Post
    skinny, skinny, skinny, skinny, ...wait a second!!!

: )
    Yep those are Surly's 4" road tire, the Black Floyd. Pump 'em up to a whopping 25 psi and they roll smooth and fast on pavement and hardpack. The noise scares the roadies out of the way!

Quote Originally Posted by DiRt DeViL View Post
    Think that have seen the guy with the fat bike on 28 a couple of times on my way home, where do you guys ride in or near Otter Lake? Getting tired of the same trail every weekend.

Any dirt rides planned for the near future?
    Yeah, that's me on the Pugsley. About a month ago my buddy and I got pulled over by a TOW cop on 28 just south of Thendara. They are on the lookout for fat bikes because a Surly Moonlander was stolen from Mountain Man.

The riding we do around Otter Lake is mostly in the McKeever/Woodhall area./ Coming south take the left after crossing the Moose and it takes you to a trail head with a map. You can ride down to Remsen Falls on the Moose and to Wolf Lake Landing on Woodhull Lake or most of the way to Woodhull Mountain then ditch the bike and hike to the fire tower. This is mostly double track and gravel road, but the Bear Lake trail is some nice challenging single track.

No dirt rides planned in the near future. I'll be up there tomorrow, but not sure if I'll pull off a ride and the next few weekends are elsewhere.

mtbr member
    Didn't knew that the Mountain Man's fatty was stolen, not your typical Old Forge kind of bike but he usually left it unattended at the store or around town.

Planning on heading down to Highland this Saturday.