I'm on fire.

DEC Unit Mgmt Plan, Hammond Hill in Ithaca - help needed

A recent e-mail blast from our local upstate NY IMBA Chapter, Cycle-CNY.....

Your local cycling community needs you. The draft DEC Twins Sheds Unit Management Plan (Twin Sheds Unit Management Plan - NYS Dept. of Environmental Conservation) looks to impose new restrictions on mountain bike use in Hammond Hill & Yellow Barn State Forests, near Ithaca, NY. Please take a minute to send an important e-mail during the official DEC Public Comment period. A template letter has been provided below for your convenience. Hurry, comments must be submitted by April 7, 2013!

More discussion on-line in the Cycle-CNY forums. (• View topic - Hammond Hill and Yellow Barn Unit Management Plan)

Send comments by 4/7/13 to John Clancy (DEC), jmclancy@gw.dec.state.ny.us

Sincerely,
    Cycle-CNY, in partnership with IMBA

Dear Mr. Clancy,

Thank you for the opportunity to comment on the Twin Sheds Unit Management Plan. I urge you to strongly consider the following comments for the draft plan:

I feel Action 2.2.12 is a new and unnecessary restriction of public forest use and should be removed. I suggest wording more in line with current bike management practices that allow for forest exploration by bike while focusing bike opportunities on the forestís multiple use trail networks. Multi-use trails should not impose selective restriction of bikes.

I believe Action 2.2.1 should be removed from the UMP. I believe the use of bikes on snow covered trails poses no significant user conflict, as suggested by the UMP. Action 2.2.1 is unnecessary for a multi-use trail system.

I urge the DEC and the NYS government to direct funding and support volunteer efforts for trail maintenance and the creation of additional trails.

I support the continued ban of motorized off-road vehicles on trails.

I oppose natural gas leasing, exploration, and drilling on the NYS Forest Lands within this UMP.

Bicycling broadens the recreational offerings and gets Americans out of their cars and into the natural world. It connects people of all ages with the natural environment and is a fun, low-impact activity. I encourage the DEC to make all accommodations possible to provide mountain bike opportunities in our NYS forests.

Sincerely,

YOUR NAME HERE
    Last edited by Trigger; 04-03-2013 at 05:58 AM.
    Sanity is the trademark of a weak mind.
    Cycle CNY

I'm on fire.
    Bump....last week to send in your comments. Please take a second to do it!
    Sanity is the trademark of a weak mind.
    Cycle CNY